What's new

Plasma Cloud replaces OpenMesh

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

kavemann

New Around Here
Well I am wondering how good the new Plasma Cloud devices are. I have a few OpenMesh at home and at work. I do not want to pay the price Datto wants per month to use WIFI. Plasma Cloud has an amnesty program where for each ap you buy you can bring over an OpenMesh unit that was pre-datto to thier cloud controller. I am thinking about doing it or starting over and buying something else.

Has anyone tested the Plasma Cloud gear? Is there a program where we buy it and donate it for 1-6 months or just donate it?

I am also looking at Aruba Instant on as it is a cloud controller as well.

For me the OpenMesh cloud controller was the ticket, meshing was awesome as well.

Now with WIFI 6 I see the AP and Clinet are now imporatnt to so I don't want to buy junk.

Thanks,
Joe

Any company that doesn't list a physical address or phone # on its website isn't likely to be around for the long term.
There is no background information on the company, either.

Products that required a cloud service to operate are generally not a good deal. Too many companies have suddenly folded, leaving users with doorstops.

A business plan based on offering a free cloud service funded by hardware sales is also tough to pull off, especially for a new player.

Any company that doesn't list a physical address or phone # on its website isn't likely to be around for the long term.
There is no background information on the company, either.

Domain Profile
RegistrantREDACTED FOR PRIVACY
Registrant OrgREDACTED FOR PRIVACY
Registrant Countryhk

Says all you need to know.

Last edited by a moderator:
Datto is a public traded company on the NYSE - symbol MSP
Datto is Open Mesh. I think Tim's comment was regarding Plasma Cloud.

"The company is a newcomer on the block (created in 2018) yet staffed with ex-Open Mesh employees with 10+ years experience in the cloud networking domain and who possess a good understanding of what Open Mesh customers expect"

datto is out of the question, too expensive for my home, parents and mother-in-law. I am not going to pay $80 a month when I was paying $0 per month for Open Mesh...

At home I am thinking of going Aruba if they don't pay the same game as Datto and Meraki...

My comment was about Plasma Cloud.

The Open Mesh website clearly states the product is focused at service providers.
We’ve combined everything you know and love about Open Mesh with additional services and pricing designed specifically for Managed Service Providers.

Datto is Open Mesh. I think Tim's comment was regarding Plasma Cloud.

"The company is a newcomer on the block (created in 2018) yet staffed with ex-Open Mesh employees with 10+ years experience in the cloud networking domain and who possess a good understanding of what Open Mesh customers expect"
@ColinTaylor Could you please cite your source for the quote?

You can have all the experience in the world, but if your revenue model isn't sustainable, eventually the investors will run out of patience and shut off the money tap.

I think customers can pay a little per month to get some features and businesses can pay a little more per month for fatures with better reporting or longer timelines. All these cloud vendors need to stay in check as the Netgear meshing products might get to a point that you could rip and replace every 2 years and still be less than Datto or Meraki...

All these cloud vendors need to stay in check as the Netgear meshing products might get to a point that you could rip and replace every 2 years and still be less than Datto or Meraki...
How so?

It looks like Aruba Instant on is $1 per month per ap when you buy a 36 month contract. Not bad, that is doable for most home and business users.