What's new

please double check my moca set up

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

OK, the plot thickens. Sorry for the drip drip. Some of this im just discovering as I look closer.
upon closer inspection the previous owner did run some cat 5e. i beleive this to be in just in the basement and I dont think its connected to the outlet upstairs but would need a ethernet tracer i guess to figure that out.
here is a photo of the bredroom outlets upstairs which also do have a coax outlet.

In the basement i found this.

these lines lead to these three locations in the basement.

oddly none of these run to the control box for the cable. but i could probably do that.

The "PoE" MoCA filter *IS* necessary/required, at least for the topology that you describe. The prior reply appeared to misunderstand the "POE" acronym, understandable given its many iterations. (point-of-entry, Power Over Ethernet, Purity of Essence, ...)

Sorry I've usually seen it referenced as a MOCA filter. Yes that is needed if there is nothing in the path to block it. Some splitters will block it but it shouldn't hurt anything. I was thinking it was the old power filter Comcast used to use when you had their phone box on the house.

OK, the plot thickens. Sorry for the drip drip. Some of this im just discovering as I look closer.
upon closer inspection the previous owner did run some cat 5e. i beleive this to be in just in the basement and I dont think its connected to the outlet upstairs but would need a ethernet tracer i guess to figure that out.
here is a photo of the bredroom outlets upstairs which also do have a coax outlet.

In the basement i found this.

these lines lead to these three locations in the basement.

oddly none of these run to the control box for the cable. but i could probably do that.

Sounds like you need to figure out where those go. You can get a tone generator or cable tester.

That aside, if you want to do MOCA for your setup personally I would put the router in the basement since it isn't doing wifi, connect it directly to the coax from outside. Then use a MOCA adapter set on each coax running to each room. If the router has enough ports just plug the Ethernet (either MOCA output or the direct ones) into there, if not hang a switch off it. Any room that needs more than 1 port you can use a cheap unmanaged Ethernet switch.

There may be something out there that has like 4 MOCA adapters in one and a single Ethernet output, not sure, but the individual ones are probably easier.

Either way put the router in the basement connected to the cable feed, no filters or splitters needed, then figure out where those ethernets go, if you can use some of those, great, for others use the home runs of coax as standalone cables with MOCA on either end.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!