What's new

Please help me make my ethernet ports in my home active

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

@CaptainSTX
The photos that he posted show that all 4 pairs have been terminated at the panel. Quite a nice job actually. Shame to rip it all out.:)

Right, I was referring to the wall jacks, not the board.

He should probably confirm proper pinout along with proper wire count when he looks at the wall jacks.

I have 105mb internet at the moment.

So just buy a POE switch and then hook all those up leaving out the feed line. Then with the router in another room take a cat5 from an open port and plug into the wall?
Yes, but you'll also need a PoE injector next to the router to send power down the cable to the central PoE switch.

The reason I asked about your internet speed was because there are different types of power injector. You must make sure that the one you get is compatible with the switch. Also, the cheap ones (like this: http://www.l-com.com/multimedia/datasheets/DS_PSW1212-POE.PDF) limit the data rate to 100Mbps because 4 wires are used exclusively for power.
It frustrates me they didn't set it up for data in the first place even though they wired the rooms for it.
Well technically (looking at the GE catalogue) that panel and the wiring is classified as a residential voice module, so it's not intended for data.

Right, I was referring to the wall jacks, not the board.

He should probably confirm proper pinout along with proper wire count when he looks at the wall jacks.
Good point. He'll need to make a note of the wiring anyway so that he knows how to arrange them at the other end when he crimps on the new plugs.

Good point. He'll need to make a note of the wiring anyway so that he knows how to arrange them at the other end when he crimps on the new plugs.

Thank you!! Just like my audio setup. I need to make sure what is on one end is the same config on the other.

Thanks about the POE injector. I didn't know I would need one.

Let me know if my reasoning for why I want to do this warrants a different solution.

You all have been extremely helpful. Thank you so so much!

@MNnetworkguy I suppose this question is a bit late :rolleyes:, but if you're not using this panel to distribute your telephone extensions how are you doing it? Or has the world gone completely mobile?

Thank you!! Just like my audio setup. I need to make sure what is on one end is the same config on the other.

Thanks about the POE injector. I didn't know I would need one.

Let me know if my reasoning for why I want to do this warrants a different solution.

You all have been extremely helpful. Thank you so so much!

It would be a shame to waste a pre-installed cat5 network.

There are other solutions, but I can think of none that are as optimal. The PoE thing seems like overkill, but I guess it's also sexy & streamlined, so...

Also, just so you all know my end goal that might help in case i am making this too complex. I have some wifi dead spots in my house. I have a Asus AC-66U router so it should be decent enough but some places just don't get coverage. Especially when 4k streaming and other things start to take off i want good wireless.

What i was going to do is make the ethernet ports live and then look at leveraging Ubiquiti access points to create a stronger mesh type wireless network. I see there are two products almost on the market like Eero and Luma but that just seems overpriced. At the end of the day there is also a benefit to having cat5 live in the rooms so then if i need wired internet i can.

Anyway, let me know if I have an easier solution or if i should still go with the switch in the control panel.

Not only are they overpriced, they are underperforming as well (forget mesh). See the recent thread on that topic.

http://www.snbforums.com/threads/ho...his-summer-from-eero.22549/page-4#post-239650

The reading from post 70 on is worth the time. ;)

With your wired rooms, I would be looking to put your main router in the most central position possible (if possible). The 'if possible' part is the ability to run several more cables (at least one each for each LAN port of your router).

Where the wires are terminated now, you need a switch (minimum number of ports equal to how many cables have been run to the rooms).

If you wanted to segregate your devices by switches, then you would have a switch for each LAN port of your router (hence the need for multiple runs to the (central) location where the main router was located).

The cautions about testing the cable runs and terminations (and the possibility of data not supported because of limitations of those aspects) would make me want to run new cables if possible.

If not possible? Then you have a very long road ahead of you testing each run and termination to make sure it adheres properly to data wiring standards.

I think that using the existing wiring (and forced to putting the main router there) is not a good exercise in the long run. Better to plan it out better and do it right before you start installing, buying and getting locked in to a sub optimal setup like you're faced with now.

It would be a shame to waste a pre-installed cat5 network.

There are other solutions, but I can think of none that are as optimal. The PoE thing seems like overkill, but I guess it's also sexy & streamlined, so...

Thanks, i agree is seems a shame to waste. i just didn't know if the hassle was worth it if there are other solutions like luma that mike work. But i agree good ol' fashioned wiring can't be beat.

Yes, I wish I didn't have to do the PoE thing but it seems cheaper than having an electrician come out and install an outlet. they picked a crappy location for this thing with no outlet near by

Not only are they overpriced, they are underperforming as well (forget mesh). See the recent thread on that topic.

http://www.snbforums.com/threads/ho...his-summer-from-eero.22549/page-4#post-239650

The reading from post 70 on is worth the time. ;)

With your wired rooms, I would be looking to put your main router in the most central position possible (if possible). The 'if possible' part is the ability to run several more cables (at least one each for each LAN port of your router).

Where the wires are terminated now, you need a switch (minimum number of ports equal to how many cables have been run to the rooms).

If you wanted to segregate your devices by switches, then you would have a switch for each LAN port of your router (hence the need for multiple runs to the (central) location where the main router was located).

The cautions about testing the cable runs and terminations (and the possibility of data not supported because of limitations of those aspects) would make me want to run new cables if possible.

If not possible? Then you have a very long road ahead of you testing each run and termination to make sure it adheres properly to data wiring standards.

I think that using the existing wiring (and forced to putting the main router there) is not a good exercise in the long run. Better to plan it out better and do it right before you start installing, buying and getting locked in to a sub optimal setup like you're faced with now.

Yeah its not possible to run new cables so i am kind of stuck with the starting point i am at now. I can't get a one for one switch to router cable run. The closest i could get the router to the switch in the closet is one room away. So that is why i was thinking of doing the switch solution like others have mentioned but where i have my router take a cat5 cable out from that and plug it into one of the wall cat5 jacks. That would make the whole network and switch live. Of course if i get a PoE to power the switch

Am i missing anything or is there a better way to do this?

Is there a way to tell before i do anything? I really don't to deal with all the wall jacks and rewiring them. When i look at the main panel it appears all wires are punched in. SO maybe they configured it for data and phone?

Buy an Ethernet cable tester. It will allow you to quickly test every cable and see if it has been pined for a 568B configuration. You can purchase a simple tester for around $5.00 US. It only tests the continuity and pinning. It will not tell you if the cable is suitable for gigabyte connections.

Buy an Ethernet cable tester. It will allow you to quickly test every cable and see if it has been pined for a 568B configuration. You can purchase a simple tester for around $5.00 US. It only tests the continuity and pinning. It will not tell you if the cable is suitable for gigabyte connections.

Would looking at 1 wall jack's pinout not be conclusive enough? I mean... I know it's dangerous, but I would assume all jacks would be wired the same.

Do any of the rooms have two lines run to them? Would this room be a better location than the closet (don't do that!) which is still close to the cable's termination point?

If you have such a room, I would feed the main router (WAN) from your ISP's modem and run right back down to a switch from one of the LAN ports to connect to the rest of the home.

http://www.snbforums.com/threads/no...l-and-manual-configuration.27115/#post-205573

http://www.snbforums.com/threads/is-the-rt-ac68u-a-good-replacement-for-a-rt-n66u.30303/#post-237039

The above links may help you with selecting the channels and proper placement of the router (in addition to updating firmware too).

We have to use what we have available, but don't take the too easy road either. :)

Before I brought in an electrician, I would have this working to my satisfaction with extension cables (AC) first. Then, what you and the electrician decide should be the 'right' choice too.

POE is another way to lock yourself in a certain direction. While helpful in most cases (attic, etc.), a dedicated electrical run is always preferred. Or to say it another way; one more thing to go wrong. ;)

Would looking at 1 wall jack's pinout not be conclusive enough? I mean... I know it's dangerous, but I would assume all jacks would be wired the same.

I hope so but let me know if that is a dangerous assumption. Looking at the wall jack, all wires are connected.

I read about them but thought they were similar to using a second router as a repeater and the bandwidth degrades fairly significantly
Yeah, they're not great but, depending on your house wiring, they can be much better than repeaters.

I only offer it as an alternative. It's something that (if you don't mind the expense) can just be plugged in and used straight away without any re-cabling.

Throughput varies from site to site so it may or may not give you what you want.

Do any of the rooms have two lines run to them? Would this room be a better location than the closet (don't do that!) which is still close to the cable's termination point?

If you have such a room, I would feed the main router (WAN) from your ISP's modem and run right back down to a switch from one of the LAN ports to connect to the rest of the home.

http://www.snbforums.com/threads/no...l-and-manual-configuration.27115/#post-205573

http://www.snbforums.com/threads/is-the-rt-ac68u-a-good-replacement-for-a-rt-n66u.30303/#post-237039

The above links may help you with selecting the channels and proper placement of the router (in addition to updating firmware too).

We have to use what we have available, but don't take the too easy road either. :)

Before I brought in an electrician, I would have this working to my satisfaction with extension cables (AC) first. Then, what you and the electrician decide should be the 'right' choice too.

POE is another way to lock yourself in a certain direction. While helpful in most cases (attic, etc.), a dedicated electrical run is always preferred. Or to say it another way; one more thing to go wrong. ;)

I just ran through every room in the house and unfortunately each room only has one cat5 cable. Ugh! I am not catching a break anywhere haha.

i agree optimal would be doing an electrician. I just don't know if i want to spend that much. I already have a daycare bill for 2 kids :) that is enough to make me broke.

I just ran through every room in the house and unfortunately each room only has one cat5 cable. Ugh! I am not catching a break anywhere haha.

i agree optimal would be doing an electrician. I just don't know if i want to spend that much. I already have a daycare bill for 2 kids :) that is enough to make me broke.

Understood. ;)

Is there anything where two rooms have the cables adjacent enough to have your router there?

If that is possible, you can also run a small switch (4 or 5 port) to support any wired devices needed in that room. This would be plugged into another LAN port of the router.

Putting a router where the ISP's modem is (usually in the basement), is like putting a lamp under a bed. Might make for a neater looking home, but the effectiveness of the lamp or the router is highly compromised in each case.

Understood. ;)

Is there anything where two rooms have the cables adjacent enough to have your router there?

If that is possible, you can also run a small switch (4 or 5 port) to support any wired devices needed in that room. This would be plugged into another LAN port of the router.

Putting a router where the ISP's modem is (usually in the basement), is like putting a lamp under a bed. Might make for a neater looking home, but the effectiveness of the lamp or the router is highly compromised in each case.

I can check on adjacency. I have a rambler (4400 sq ft) and have the router centrally located in the top floor. (Like the table lamp analogy haha) I think it is located as best as possible. I do, however, have it in a cabinet and not displayed like a nice piece of art though. The issue i am having is in the basement where i have a amazon fire stick and my sons nursery ip webcam which goes out fairly frequently