What's new

Please help me make my ethernet ports in my home active

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

A patch panel OR Keystone plugs is a simple way to get a female connector on the wires. Then use pre-made patch cables to connect to the switch.

As opposed to trying to crimp the RJ45s & getting all 8 wires in the correct location to support gigabit speeds is like putting a diaper on a squirming infant while your half a wake. If not done perfectly you end up with 10 or 100 mbit.

Thought I read early on a light or switch was nearby. It would be easy to splice in a line, add a plug & voila power nearby.

If a switch nearby:
http://m.lowes.com/pd/Cooper-Wiring-Devices-15-Amp-White-Combination-Light-Switch/3411814

As for the line marked feed that is most likely your incoming landline. If you have landline service hookup a phone to it and see if you have dial tone.

Probably should have said this earlier - for kicks run a ethernet from your router's switch port to a wall jack. Then hook up a laptop or some other device in another room on a wall jack. I would be surprised if you had connectivity but you never know.

Assuming the feed line is for landline service it most likely runs to your box on the side of the house.

A patch panel OR Keystone plugs is a simple way to get a female connector on the wires. Then use pre-made patch cables to connect to the switch.

As opposed to trying to crimp the RJ45s & getting all 8 wires in the correct location to support gigabit speeds is like putting a diaper on a squirming infant while your half a wake. If not done perfectly you end up with 10 or 100 mbit.

Thought I read early on a light or switch was nearby. It would be easy to splice in a line, add a plug & voila power nearby.

If a switch nearby:
http://m.lowes.com/pd/Cooper-Wiring-Devices-15-Amp-White-Combination-Light-Switch/3411814

As for the line marked feed that is most likely your incoming landline. If you have landline service hookup a phone to it and see if you have dial tone.

Probably should have said this earlier - for kicks run a ethernet from your router's switch port to a wall jack. Then hook up a laptop or some other device in another room on a wall jack. I would be surprised if you had connectivity but you never know.

Assuming the feed line is for landline service it most likely runs to your box on the side of the house.

Ahh, Yes, there is a lightswitch and i love that idea. It would save me from having to do the PoE. I didn't even think of that. The one issue is, of course, the light switch is on the opposite wall on the other side of the door. But since we rarely go in there i could just tuck the electrical cord neatly along the floor or maybe find away to snake it along the ceiling. I didn't know that product existed. I can leverage my existing wiring no problem??

If that is the case any recommendations on best switch to get? I am pumped to get the plans all finalized and then have this up and running

Last edited: