What's new

Please suggest best VPN to use that has a Wireguard config file on GT-AXE11000 w/388 firmware

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

cc666

Very Senior Member
I currently have Nord VPN and it has no config file for the wireguard protocol. I know there is a work around but I am not experienced enough to attempt it.
I am looking for suggestions, I see Proton and Mullvad as viable options. Which would be better for speed and security?

CC

TorGuard as well. You can get 50% off, then it’s affordable.

If you are interested in streaming, ie. geo-unblocking, TorGuard would be the pick.

I use both surfshark and mullvard,they both support wireguard config for asus router,mullvad in my setup was faster than surfshark but not by much

Could you guys please check if NAT acceleration is enabled or disabled when Wireguard client is set or in use? Thank you!

I currently have Nord VPN and it has no config file for the wireguard protocol. I know there is a work around but I am not experienced enough to attempt it.
I am looking for suggestions, I see Proton and Mullvad as viable options. Which would be better for speed and security?

CC
For me WEVPN works on Wireguard via an imported config file

CC
Those of course are two of the major considerations but also take into account the physical location of the servers-closer to you of course is better regarding latency and jitter. Another factor regarding VPN performance is the server load for the closest servers to your location-here is Proton servers and their respective loads (varies by time of day of course): https://protonvpn.com/vpn-servers/#list_plus-plan and Mullvad here: https://mullvad.net/en/servers/ Hope this helps in your search.

Could you guys please check if NAT acceleration is enabled or disabled when Wireguard client is set or in use? Thank you!

Princi or anyone who is up and running on Wireguard can you comment on this with the NAT.

CC

I can only speak from the standpoint of Wireguard (Proton) on a GT-AXE11000 (VPN Fusion) with the latest firmware-the only option available from the Web GUI regarding NAT is on or off.

I can only speak from the standpoint of Wireguard (Proton) on a GT-AXE11000 (VPN Fusion) with the latest firmware-the only option available from the Web GUI regarding NAT is on or off.
Are you able to successfully run it with NAT ON?

CC

Are you able to successfully run it with NAT ON?

CC
Yes, I have NAT selected on with my Proton WG configuration (GT-AXE11000 with the latest stock firmware 388.X)-all my devices work without a hitch-very happy with WG performance compared to OpenVPN-PS5 games/streaming services function as if there was no VPN at all

Princi or anyone who is up and running on Wireguard can you comment on this with the NAT.

CC
Happy to assist. But as this is a feature I never use / change - where is it?

I remember seeing it on Merlin builds, but can’t find it on this 388 firmware (AX88U).

Tell me where to look, and I’ll report back.

Happy to assist. But as this is a feature I never use / change - where is it?

I remember seeing it on Merlin builds, but can’t find it on this 388 firmware (AX88U).

Tell me where to look, and I’ll report back.

Look at LAN - Internet Connection - Enable NAT dot in Yes or No

CC

With Wireguard Server or Client set, in SSH:

nvram get runner_disable
nvram get fc_disable

0 - enabled
1 - disabled

No, not this one.
Since I started out programming machine code, I think I can safely go Commando*, I mean go Command Line for this

The responses were (respectively):

* Going Commando = Reference to Joey Trebbiani from Friends

I think so. Wondering how it impacts the router's performance and if it's a good idea after all.

Well, as you can see above, Flow Cache is disabled.

But I’m still getting double the VPN throughput I did using OpenVPN, so do I care?

As long as everything else works at sufficient speed with NAT acceleration disabled.