What's new

Plex Media Server running on AsusWRT Arm Routers!!!

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Hello

I have a AC3100 with the plex server install for a longtime but starting a few months ago I cannot cast the music to my Google Home, it connect but i cannot play anything.... Do you know if there is an updated version or setting that i can try to make this work again?

server version is 0.9.16.6, is there a way to update this version?

If not is there a way to backup all my playlist or convert them to M3U? Where are they located on the server?

Thanks alot for you help

Last edited:
Plex Media Server for Armel cpu will not be updated anymore.
Save your installation and install from scratch.
PMS don't have an option to save library in m3u format.

Every few seconds a Plex process appears with a load of 20-40%. The library was indexed a few days ago. What does Plex do and how to disable unnecessary CPU usage?
Asus AC86U
screen123549.jpg

I use plex, but I want it not to consume resources when I am not watching a movie. Minidlna is active only at the time of viewing and scanning the library, I want to achieve the same from the plex.
On the contrary, I'm leaving x86 in favor of routers, I'm tired of a lot of unnecessary pieces of iron in the house, all this can replace a modern router.

I use plex, but I want it not to consume resources when I am not watching a movie. Minidlna is active only at the time of viewing and scanning the library, I want to achieve the same from the plex.
On the contrary, I'm leaving x86 in favor of routers, I'm tired of a lot of unnecessary pieces of iron in the house, all this can replace a modern router.
You'd probably get more answers on Plex forums. My experience with Plex when I was running it on a SBC is that it run lots of background jobs, cataloguing, downloading information from databases, etc. Probably it's also uploading information to Plex HQ as it seemed to be becoming increasingly obtrusive before I removed it.

I have a Plex Server running on Phenom II x6, 16GB, Win SVR 2016, 24TB of storage over a 2.5g connection to my AX86, ah overkill maybe, but I allow friends to remote access content, as well as peeps in the house.

I have a Plex Server running on Phenom II x6, 16GB, Win SVR 2016, 24TB of storage over a 2.5g connection to my AX86, ah overkill maybe, but I allow friends to remote access content, as well as peeps in the house.
Keeping the processor on 24/7 with a TDP of 125 watts ... Of course, overkill.
AC86U + 2 hdd 2.5" ~ 14 watt
If you are not satisfied with the performance of the router, i believe, for a home server, the best option is intel j5005 or j4125.

Last edited:
Keeping the processor on 24/7 with a TDP of 125 watts ... Of course, overkill.
AC86U + 2 hdd 2.5" ~ 14 watt
If you are not satisfied with the performance of the router, i believe, for a home server, the best option is intel j5005 or j4125.
I have TrueNAS running on a J5005, running plex in a jail. With 6 drives it idles around 30 watts measured at the wall. Works fine for me, except that Gemini Lake can't do hardware transcode.

I had NAS on j1900, now I switched to ac86 and it suits me completely, but I dream of ax86 :)
All i need: samba + plex + transmission + rsync.

Hi everyone ,

I am interested to install Plex Media Server on my RT-AC86U , however I-m not that great with networking. Could someone help me with the steps I would need to go through to be able to run this app on my router ?

HW : RT-AC86U + a 1TB SSD via USB3
Installed Entware and running Transmission on it.

Appreciate the help.

Hi everyone ,

I am interested to install Plex Media Server on my RT-AC86U , however I-m not that great with networking. Could someone help me with the steps I would need to go through to be able to run this app on my router ?

HW : RT-AC86U + a 1TB SSD via USB3
Installed Entware and running Transmission on it.

Appreciate the help.
This thread is quite old. Ironically enough, another user just posted instructions in the Addon thread area:

When I ran Plex years ago on an AX88U it ran good, much better than minidlna.
I know run it on a QNap NAS box (x86 core).