What's new

Plex WOL

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Thunderclap

Occasional Visitor
I've followed the instructions on the asuswrt-merlin github (https://github.com/RMerl/asuswrt-merlin/wiki/WOL-Script-Wake-Up-Your-Webserver-On-Internet-Traffic) but am still not able to wake my PC for access to Plex. I've double checked my BIOS and the network card in Device Manager to ensure WOL is enabled yet the machine refuses to wake.

Has anyone managed to get this working with this script? If not this script but some other way, can you direct me to what method you used? I would love to have it so my PC can sleep but be woken if I want to access Plex remotely.

Thank you.

My situation is different in that I have a NAS in the house which holds the movies and Plex. It sleeps until needed and auto-sleeps when not used. I use Linux as my main PC and there is a tool for Linux called Powerwake. I have created a desktop icon for "powerwake (MAC address of the NAS)" and when I know I want to use Plex I click, wait the 20s or so the NAS takes to wake and spin up then am free to start watching. You can get a (paid) version of WOL Magic Packet apps on the Apps Stores for phones/tablets/AppleTV that will do the same thing.

I have not yet found a tool to auto-wake the NAS but don't find the desktop icon too bad. You may want to ask in the Plex forums for other solutions from within Plex.

Yes, Fast Startup in the BIOS is set to disabled.
Within Windows 10 control panel, not BIOS. I've found it interferes with WOL

upload_2017-9-1_13-48-30.png

My situation is different in that I have a NAS in the house which holds the movies and Plex. It sleeps until needed and auto-sleeps when not used. I use Linux as my main PC and there is a tool for Linux called Powerwake. I have created a desktop icon for "powerwake (MAC address of the NAS)" and when I know I want to use Plex I click, wait the 20s or so the NAS takes to wake and spin up then am free to start watching. You can get a (paid) version of WOL Magic Packet apps on the Apps Stores for phones/tablets/AppleTV that will do the same thing.

I have not yet found a tool to auto-wake the NAS but don't find the desktop icon too bad. You may want to ask in the Plex forums for other solutions from within Plex.

I've seen similar ideas passed around in the Plex forum too, though it's not ideal for my situation. Basically, I share my Plex server with my dad who lives six hours away. I'm not always home when he wants to watch something, so either he has to wait for me to get home to wake the PC from sleep, or leave the PC on 24/7. Neither is ideal as I would like him to be able to start the Plex app and when he tries to access my server have it wake. This way we don't need to coordinate schedules for him to watch something, and I don't need to waste electricity having the system on when it's not needed.

Didn't work. I even tried disabling my Bitdefender Firewall to see if that was stopping it but that didn't help either. Bummer. Any other suggestions I could try?