What's new

Wake on ( WAN ) - Plex - Question

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Quick question. Is there an easy way to blacklist ips so that it doesn't WOL on those hit's
If it's always the same set of IPs you could install Entware on a USB drive and use the Skynet addon. But that's probably overkill just for simple IP blocking. You might just as well create a custom firewall-start script. The problem is usually that you end up playing whack-a-mole with an ever changing list of IPs. At the end of the day the best approach is to use a VPN and not expose any other ports to the internet.

If it's always the same set of IPs you could install Entware on a USB drive and use the Skynet addon. But that's probably overkill just for simple IP blocking. You might just as well create a custom firewall-start script. The problem is usually that you end up playing whack-a-mole with an ever changing list of IPs. At the end of the day the best approach is to use a VPN and not expose any other ports to the internet.
That makes sense for security for sure but doesn't for Plex remote access with some friends using it

Basically I know two IPs that Plex itself uses ( they seem to stay the same ) , it wakes the server , I don't want to block them entirely from my network, I just don't want those two to trigger this particular script.

I did see one script that allowed to choose IPs to allow but not to blacklist.

Basically I know two IPs that Plex itself uses ( they seem to stay the same ) , it wakes the server ,
What do you mean by this? Does the Plex company's servers need to connect to your server? I haven't used Plex for a long time, and then only in a local mode.

I don't want to block them entirely from my network, I just don't want those two to trigger this particular script.
I don't see how you can on one hand allow them to connect to your server, and on the other hand not have the server woken up. :confused:

What do you mean by this? Does the Plex company's servers need to connect to your server? I haven't used Plex for a long time, and then only in a local mode.

I don't see how you can on one hand allow them to connect to your server, and on the other hand not have the server woken up. :confused:
Yea think they've used for the " myplex" part, probably to check port settings so that other uses can connect

Couldn't they can be accepted by the network but not trigger the wol script ?

You'll have to explain what these connections are. I don't understand what's happening as I don't use Plex anymore.
I believe there for the " myplex" part , if I change the port for Plex then it'll have to update somewhere so my friends can connect without worrying about ports.

I guess I thought it would be possible so if " X" ip tries to access port, then ignore wol. All other ips access port then wol

I believe there for the " myplex" part , if I change the port for Plex then it'll have to update somewhere so my friends can connect without worrying about ports.

I guess I thought it would be possible so if " X" ip tries to access port, then ignore wol. All other ips access port then wol

Well you could try blocking those IP addresses and seeing what happens. I would think that it's connecting for a reason though, so I don't know what it would do if it can't connect anymore. What are the two IP addresses you're seeing?

Take a look here, I couldn't get this working for some reason but it has a few more options

That doesn't seems to do anything noticeably different from the current scripts.

Correct me if I'm wrong in this understanding,

I assumed the script looked at the internal IP and internal port , if these are matched then Wake Mac address

I thought it would be possible to add

If internal IP and internal port march & is not "xxx xxx.xxx.xxx" then wol

Wouldn't this allow me to not wake the device but also not block the IP from my network ? I just want to stop those IPs triggers wol not block them entirely .or is that not how it works

No that's not how TCP/IP works. From the external client's perspective there's no difference between its connection being blocked by your firewall or the server being off. In both scenarios the client tries to connect to your server and doesn't get a reply.

No that's not how TCP/IP works. From the external client's perspective there's no difference between its connection being blocked by your firewall or the server being off. In both scenarios the client tries to connect to your server and doesn't get a reply.
Ah ok , so I guess this has reached its point.

I'm happy with it anyway so thanks for all the help

Hi,

I've followed the guide here ;

I've got it working great with port 32400 ( i.e the port plex uses )
it wake up my system fine

My only issue with it at the moment is if anyone over the internet port scans and hits 32400 the server wakes up.

i'm racking my brain on how i could potentially solve this but im coming up with nothing, anyone got any ideas? i thought maybe packet length ? but not sure that would work out.

I could specify IPs i want to allow to wake it, problem with that is i have a few users that use it, if there IP changes they wont be able to..
Can you confirm if this specific script is still working?

Tried it on my AC86U with the latest version of Merlin the other day and couldnt get it to work. Part of the issue I think is that it references ether-wake which doesn’t even exist on my router in the location specified in the script.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!