What's new

Plug Your Wi-Fi Holes With A Powerline Network

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

thiggins

Mr. Easy
Staff member
weak_wifi.jpg
There's a better way to extend your wireless network than wireless extenders.

Read on SmallNetBuilder

nice write up , however i would suggest you mention the conditions and limitations of the hardware as its not the panacea for every situation

pete

I wish we would see more powerline adapters with Wifi built in. And for me personally, I'd like an outdoor model.
Earlier this year I needed to extend my wifi to the back yard. I was able to do so with an older d-link powerline adapter with an AP built in which is in my garage. The one box solution is great.

I'm rather disappointed that TrendNet doesn't have a system whereby their router would be Powerline enabled without additional accessories, and that the PowerLine adapters with Wi-Fi built-in could basically construct a Wi-Fi mesh on their own, where the Powerline Wi-Fi adapters would be synchronized with the primary AP / router. That would a) simplify setup; b) simplify management; c) avoid Wi-Fi for backhaul and the need to pull CAT5 / CAT6 for backhaul.

powerline with wifi adapters built in arent a great idea. Sometimes its better to compartmentalise which is why desktops still come with slots rather than everything embedded, Even many laptops still allow you to change ram, drives,cards and even batteries as only some solder everything onto the board. Compartmentalising increases lifespan (less waste) and means less things to go wrong. Powerline adapters with wifi dont do as well as those without any wifi or switch.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!