What's new

PoE Switch question

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

The Amcrest cameras above - about 10. Read the specs - 8Mbps max bit rate. I would separate IP camera network from my main network.
The cameras above are 5MP.. I was asking how many 4K cameras could I run on a 100 Mpbs switch.
To separate the cameras from my main network, don't I need a managed switch? - those are pricey!

But anyway.. since I cannot afford a managed switch right now.. all those cameras will have all internet access blocked.

yeah, I've been checking and I can't find an 8-port poe switch for much less than that.

The cameras above are 5MP

Yes, I was about to add - read the advertisements carefully as well, because 4K is >8Mpix. You have to check the specs, what's the max bit rate. It will give you the answer how many will fit in 100Mbps. The calculation is going to be the worst case scenario. With no moving objects in front of the cameras the bitrate drops much lower than max. My advice to you - get a proper NVR with compatible cameras.

$60 is way too expensive for an 8 port PoE switch?

We are perhaps seeing different things. The link is showing me Aumox 8-port Gigabit PoE Switch for 170CAD.

I use Blue Iris as an NVR which is great. I can use any all different kinds of PoE cameras..mix and match and the motion detection is fantastic. I have a dedicated machine running Blue Iris.

We are perhaps seeing different things. The link is showing me Aumox 8-port Gigabit PoE Switch for 170CAD.
yeah that's not the same price... it would be 74 cad.

1636330694440.png

So why would I need to have the cameras separated from my main network if the won't have access to the internet?

I have a dedicated machine running Blue Iris.

That works too, if you already have it.

yeah that's not the same price... it would be 74 cad.

If we are talking about the same switch, Amazon US is showing to me Currently Unavailable.

So why would I need to have the cameras separated from my main network if the won't have access to the internet?

Because someone creative may connect directly to your switch using the outside camera wires.

Because someone creative may connect directly to your switch using the outside camera wires.
you mean if they get a ladder, remove the soffit panels....pull the wires down and connect their laptop? - that seems like a lot of work to gain access to some random house lol

Just saying what is possible and why the DVR's create separate network for IP cameras.

so back to the PoE injector question.. I should be OK with a 100 Mbps injector then...for that one camera only?

@macster2075 -

Regarding injectors and switches, I would opt for gigabit across the board, as the cost difference is typically minimal for 10x the performance ceiling per port and much lower obsolescence factor.

As for structured cable, I tend to opt for domestic-made, verified, commercial-grade wire -- something a contractor would use if you hired one to do this for you (Belden, Berk-Tek, CommScope, General, Mohawk, Panduit, Superior Essex, Vertical Cable, etc.). With careful sourcing, cost is usually not that much more than Monoprice or whatever other Chinese whitelabel, but you get wire that's tested and guaranteed to work. That is worth it, to me at least. To others, not so much, but hey, to each their own.

Hope that helps. Any questions, feel free.

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!