What's new

Poor VPN speed when using Asus OpenVPN Client

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

And while I am on this subject on OVPN script ... this is what I have for connecting to london node and I used my own auth.txt for username and password. Can someone shed some light if this looks normal to you? (Sorry but TigerVPN can't really help much)

client
remote lon.tigervpn.com 1194 udp
remote lon.tigervpn.com 443 tcp-client

pull
auth-user-pass auth.txt
auth-nocache
auth-retry interact auth.txt
comp-lzo adaptive
ca ca.crt
dev tun
tls-client
script-security 2
cipher AES-256-CBC
mute 10

route-delay 5
redirect-gateway def1
resolv-retry infinite
#dhcp-renew
#dhcp-release
persist-key
persist-tun
remote-cert-tls server
mssfix

# Get help and more information by visiting https://help.tigervpn.com
# With love from Bratislava, happy tigerVPN’ing!

Hi @RMerlin

I just have one quick question for you seeing you are the developer for the MerlinWRT firmware for Asus devices. Would you recommend to get ASUS router using your software or rather get Linksys router like WRT1900ACS to manage OPENVPN effectively? Please note I do have 100/25mbps link.

Your recommendation is highly appreciated.

OpenVPN support is very barebone on Linksys. Asus easily has the best OpenVPN implementation of all home routers at the moment.

OpenVPN support is very barebone on Linksys. Asus easily has the best OpenVPN implementation of all home routers at the moment.

Hi @RMerlin

Thanks for the reply but from what I read in various posts in this forum and especially when someone mentioned about hardware acceleration (Crypt) on some Linksys routers (my plan is to purchase WRC1900ACS and using DDWRT). Would you still say that getting a Asus RT-AC68U may work better using your firmware Merlin WRT when it comes to OPENVPN client connection concerns? I just don't want to waste money on the wrong product / router especially I am also running DDNS for cloud at home. So it would be ideal to have a router which can maximise the OPENVPN connection speed and also handle DDNS. I hope it makes sense to you.

Thanks again for your time.

Hi @RMerlin

Thanks for the reply but from what I read in various posts in this forum and especially when someone mentioned about hardware acceleration (Crypt) on some Linksys routers (my plan is to purchase WRC1900ACS and using DDWRT). Would you still say that getting a Asus RT-AC68U may work better using your firmware Merlin WRT when it comes to OPENVPN client connection concerns? I just don't want to waste money on the wrong product / router especially I am also running DDNS for cloud at home. So it would be ideal to have a router which can maximise the OPENVPN connection speed and also handle DDNS. I hope it makes sense to you.

The RT-AC68U will be slower, however the configuration will be more flexible than that of DD-WRT. Between these two models it will depend on your specific needs.

The RT-AC68U will be slower, however the configuration will be more flexible than that of DD-WRT. Between these two models it will depend on your specific needs.

Again thanks @RMerlin,

So if I was going to choose ASus router using your Merlin WRT software seeing I do own a DSL-AC56U combo router at the moment. What would be your recommendation? I assume it will work in synergy with same brand together?

Thanks,

CheffieCT, you have been given some information and the advantages and disadvantages of each. Each person you ask may give you a different answer...then what will you do? You can't blame someone else if/when you are not happy with your final decision. In the end, you must make your own decision as your own situation is unique and you will have to live with your decision.

Best thing, if you are that concerned, is to go to a local shop and ask them to try both and be able to return the one that does not meet your needs.

Good luck!

CheffieCT, you have been given some information and the advantages and disadvantages of each. Each person you ask may give you a different answer...then what will you do? You can't blame someone else if/when you are not happy with your final decision. In the end, you must make your own decision as your own situation is unique and you will have to live with your decision.

Best thing, if you are that concerned, is to go to a local shop and ask them to try both and be able to return the one that does not meet your needs.

Good luck!

@Kal1975

To be honest, I like to ask these questions from the experts as I would like to think I know little about these things. And unfortunately where I intend to purchase the item is in China so it won't be that easy to return it. But Thanks, and no, I am not the kind of person to blame others but doing proper research is the key!

No worries. I tend to research too much before making a decision :)

People ask me for advice too. Usually works out...some get exactly what they wanted, some don't get exactly what they wanted and are OK with it and then some don't get exactly what they wanted and then are upset about it.

Sounds like OpenVPN speeds are very important to you, more than other aspects. If that's the case, you should go with the option that provides the better OpenVPN speeds.

@CheffieCT maybe just go with 86U for future proofing? ;)

Though whatever you’re getting it is likely going to be a lot faster and signal a lot better than your modem/router combo so you likely don’t even need the Wifi+router functions turned on on the modem. So with no media bridge mode, repeater mode, I don’t think getting an Asus is offering more synergy compatibility-wise.

Staying with Asus might provide some benefits: maybe you’re just used to managing it with a familiar UI, or have scripts that you want to port over etc.

:)

That's what I meant...everyone has different ideas and thoughts.

With the 86u, that also has hardware encryption so that would be a good suggestion too and may be the best of both worlds.

I think there are other threads here about the 86u. You can see what others say about it and what their experiences are.

Have fun deciding. :)

No worries. I tend to research too much before making a decision :)

People ask me for advice too. Usually works out...some get exactly what they wanted, some don't get exactly what they wanted and are OK with it and then some don't get exactly what they wanted and then are upset about it.

Sounds like OpenVPN speeds are very important to you, more than other aspects. If that's the case, you should go with the option that provides the better OpenVPN speeds.

Thanks mate and much appreciated and that is what I think I should do... so LINKSYS it is XD

@CheffieCT maybe just go with 86U for future proofing? ;)

Though whatever you’re getting it is likely going to be a lot faster and signal a lot better than your modem/router combo so you likely don’t even need the Wifi+router functions turned on on the modem. So with no media bridge mode, repeater mode, I don’t think getting an Asus is offering more synergy compatibility-wise.

Staying with Asus might provide some benefits: maybe you’re just used to managing it with a familiar UI, or have scripts that you want to port over etc.

Haha, thanks for the kind advice and I have two router at the moment.. one is ASUS and other 2nd one (not even worth mentioning it) for AP only. So if I get another ASUS, I will use the AC-56U as the AP and I think I will definitely look into AC86U again. Thank you for all the suggestions guys!

Hello, I already know why I can not reach more than 15Mbps OpenVpn o_OAsus 87u does not have hardware acceleration encryption I have to change it to 86U
My ISP 600/60

Hello, I already know why I can not reach more than 15Mbps OpenVpn o_OAsus 87u does not have hardware acceleration encryption I have to change it to 86U
My ISP 600/60
I set up a home network for a friend and purchased the 86U. I was not able to achieve the improved OpenVPN speeds reported by others. The VPN server is half way across the globe which could be a factor as to why. I wish I could have had it in my hands for a day or two before installing in order to perform analysis. There is a setting called runner the firmware enables/disables based on other settings. Having runner enabled appears to be the setting that improves the OpenVPN performance. The settings that determine if runner is enabled/disabled remains a mystery to me.

Anyway, another option to consider is pfSense using a build that supports AES-NI and use your current Asus router as the AP. You can read my experience here.

https://x3mtek.com/openvpn-performance/

The RT-AC86U can hit 200 Mbps with OpenVPN.

@RMerlin

Thank you for all your hard work. I'm sorry to revive a dated thread, but am having issues with VPN speeds. I originally purchased the AC88U, then realized the 86 was much more capable when it comes to OpenVPN. However, Using NordVPN I'm still seeing 35-45 Mbps speeds consistently with 128 level encryption. 256 is a measly 15-20 Mbps. Do you have any suggestions for settings or a list of what should be in the Custom Config window? The CPU clock speeds during a Speedtest sit around 13%, which I thought was low. Without VPN enabled, I see 300-325Mbps. With desktop app I see 95. I'm using a USA server within a few hundred miles of home. Thank you for any help you can give me.

EDIT: Changed connection speeds based on today's speed increase in order to rule out ISP.

Last edited:
@RMerlin

Thank you for all your hard work. I'm sorry to revive a dated thread, but am having issues with VPN speeds. I originally purchased the AC88U, then realized the 86 was much more capable when it comes to OpenVPN. However, Using NordVPN I'm still seeing 35-45 Mbps speeds consistently with 128 level encryption. 256 is a measly 15-20 Mbps. Do you have any suggestions for settings or a list of what should be in the Custom Config window? The CPU clock speeds during a Speedtest sit around 13%, which I thought was low. Without VPN enabled, I see 300-325Mbps. With desktop app I see 95. I'm using a USA server within a few hundred miles of home. Thank you for any help you can give me.

EDIT: Changed connection speeds based on today's speed increase in order to rule out ISP.

Not much you can do about it, most parameters are enforced by the server (for instance the HMAC - SHA256 will be notably slower than SHA1).

Make sure you configure it as client 1, 3 or 5 to use the least used CPU core on your router. Client 2 and 4 share CPU usage with routing, and will be slower.

@RMerlin

Can you post your configuration so we can see what your setup is? Hide your personal info (username/password and server info). I use NordVPN too and used to get very good speeds with AC86U.

Hi.
I have purchased this too in order to have good VPN speed.
Wen i have purchased the router i have uploaded Merlin firmware and made some tests.
Here on Romania on NordVPN i get ~150/110 MBs.
Impressive because my old RT-N18U did not pass 25/25 MB limit.
Today i have discoveded some strange behaviour and reset to initial settings and then reconfigure all.
Now surprise... i do not pass the 100 MB/80 MB on the same servers.
The most frustrating thing for me is that i cannot access Download Master. It always return ERR_CONNECTION_REFUSED. I try to see for a solution on the web but i did not find anything to solve the issue.
This is super frustrating because i did not have any clue for what the Download Master is not working.

HW acceleration Runner: Disabled - Flow Cache: Enabled

Edit.
Download master issue solved by detaching the HDD and delete all stuff that ASUS install on the drive.
Then reinstalled and worked for a while.
Now i cannot figue what is the problem for that the download master is not starting.
Strange behaviour.

Last edited:
Hi @RMerlin

I actually have both of these routers, and the setup you mention: Asus RT-AC68U is running Merlin, and the Linksys AC-1900ACS is running the ddwrt. I have a 60 Mbps connection and both routers achieve the 60Mbps speeds when not running VPN. When I run the OpenVPN, my Linksys connection jump to 75Mbps, and the Asus drops to 30Mbps. I tried several different servers and 3 differrent VPNs, all with the same results. I will be getting another Linksys and replacing the Asus.

i ran into the same problem with my older asus (no specific openvpn support in the cpu) by disabling encryption (if your vpn outlet support that) you should get another 50% mbps. since i only use the vpn thru the router vlan for SD pirate streams, the 30mbps i get is more than enough.