What's new

Poor wireless performance

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

berend

New Around Here
Hello,

Since a month or 2 my wireless internet is much slower than before. I have 3 accespoints (2x netgear WNDR4300 and 1x dlink DIR600) so wifi coverage is not the problem, I have tested the wired performance of every accespoint including the main router (ISP provided router) these speeds are good, about 250Mbps download and 30 upload. a few months ago I had the same speed over wifi, I tried changing the wifi channels with a wifi analyser tool but that didn't help so I've set them back to auto and its still very slow. I also tested each accespoint with the others unplugged to get as little interference as possible but speeds kept as slow. Could it be possible my ISP only slows the wireless performance of my network down since the 2 netgear accespoints have a custom firmware from my ISP? Because The cheap dlink DIR600 performs better than the 2 netgear one's. Or do you guys know another reason why my wireless performance slowed down this much?

Thanks in advance

Old wireless speed:
http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/d/64477658

New wireless speed:
https://www.speedtest.net/my-result/i/3112109106

The speedtests where all done on the same client device

Last edited:
Too many factors can affect wireless, including new routers or heavy WiFi users next door.

You don't say how bad (in numbers) the WiFi speeds are? That is also up to your client devices too.

I don't think your ISP is throttling (or even able to) your wireless speeds. Everything changes around our networks, even when we don't change anything ourselves.

Are there firmware upgrades available for your devices? Have you ever performed a reset to factory defaults on them (at the same time)?

Have you tried 'sanitizing' the network so that you're starting from a good/known state to do real troubleshooting?

See the links in my signature to get to that point, if other options leave you chasing your tail on this issue.

Too many factors can affect wireless, including new routers or heavy WiFi users next door.

You don't say how bad (in numbers) the WiFi speeds are? That is also up to your client devices too.

I don't think your ISP is throttling (or even able to) your wireless speeds. Everything changes around our networks, even when we don't change anything ourselves.

Are there firmware upgrades available for your devices? Have you ever performed a reset to factory defaults on them (at the same time)?

Have you tried 'sanitizing' the network so that you're starting from a good/known state to do real troubleshooting?

See the links in my signature to get to that point, if other options leave you chasing your tail on this issue.

I will try to factory reset every accespoint, I hope it works

I will try to factory reset every accespoint, I hope it works

Take your time and take notes on your configuration steps. The order of things makes a difference. :)

Overview: I would start by removing all the AP's from the network. Flash the main router to the latest available firmware. Do a full reset to factory defaults. Manually configure the router to secure it and connect to your ISP. At this point, I would also be picking new SSID's and passwords (to ensure that no neighbors are connected). See the 'sanitize' link in my signature.

Then, test to see how all important aspects of your network performs. This is now your default baseline. If it didn't change what you're now experiencing, I would be looking for new or newer hardware. If the results are greatly improved, continue by adding one AP at a time after also flashing the latest firmware for that device and doing a full reset to factory defaults too.

Sounds like a lot of work, but the end results should be worth it either way.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!