1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice

Welcome To SNBForums

SNBForums is a community for anyone who wants to learn about or discuss the latest in wireless routers, network storage and the ins and outs of building and maintaining a small network.

If you'd like to post a question, simply register and have at it!

While you're at it, please check out SmallNetBuilder for product reviews and our famous Router Charts, Ranker and plenty more!

port forwarding a specific port through vpn

Discussion in 'General Network Security' started by RCF, May 27, 2020.

1. RCF

RCF New Around Here

I have a nas D918+ with Qbittorrent docker (https://registry.hub.docker.com/r/linuxserver/qbittorrent/) and i am trying for days google everywhere even on asus merlin wiki and can do it right .

What i am trying to do is i have a expressvpn conf on vpn1 client, and i want to do is that qbit port in that case "6881" goes throw the vpn1 instead off my isp.

Can you give me any light on this matter.

Thanks

2. RMerlin

RMerlin Super Moderator

You can't configure a port forward through a VPN unless that provider gives you a static IP, and allows you to configure port forwarding on their own end. A typical VPN provider will basically apply a second layer of NAT in front of you, and you have no control over that layer.

RCF likes this.
  3. RCF

RCF New Around Here

4. ColinTaylor

ColinTaylor Part of the Furniture

As RMerlin said, "unless that provider gives you a static IP, and allows you to configure port forwarding on their own end".

So check with your VPN provider whether that's a service they offer.