What's new

Port Forwarding not allowed?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

grw

New Around Here
Port Forwarding not allowed with 4G dongle?

Is it correct that an RT-AC66U using a 4G dongle as the WAN interface CANNOT do port forwarding (i.e. ignores the port forwarding rules)?

Is there a way around this?

Thanks in advance

G

Last edited:
4G Dongle - More info

It looks like it may be related to my wireless ISP (Rogers in Canada).

When using a 4G dongle (Rocket stick) they only give out non-public IP's 24.XXX.XXX.XXX

They have an option $5/mo for a public IP (which I have) and it does issue a public IP - problem is they seem to block ports or do some kind of NAT within the network.

I can use DDNS but when I open ports on the ASUS I cannot connect to them from the public internet.

I had an idea to use PIA Open VPN (which I have) to tunnel out from the Router (client mode). This also gives me a public IP but again I cannot reach my open ports on the ASUS.

Any routing experts out there?

Any ideas of things to try.

I'm simply trying to get to my Synology NAS and IP security cameras from outside.

Thanks

G

Last edited:
Mystery Solved

After many hours on the phone with Rogers Level 2 support the issue is fairly simple.

Rogers does not allow a connection from one of it's wireless IP's to another.

Since the ASUS is using a rocket stick - it gets a Rogers public IP (which I subscribed to). Then in order to get off the lan and onto the internet I was using my iPhone - which also has a Rogers IP - thus the problem

The reason it took so long to troubleshoot was the tech was also using a Rogers IP and also couldn't connect - yikes

The only way I can connect through my iPhone is to use a VPN to get a public IP not owned by rogers - then I can connect fine.

My port forwarding was fine all along

The level 2 is checking to find out if the same restriction applies to static IP addresses (which is another option they offer)

I'll update when I find out

G

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!