What's new

portsLinkStaus=0 after ac88u 3.0.0.4.385_20585 update

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Does anyone know if this "portLikStatus" problem is fixed in 3.0.0.4_385_20630?

No mention of it in the limited info on the download page.
I don't think so.
I was running _20630 when I was getting the "portsLinkStaus=d" message every 4 seconds.

While troubleshooting another issue I just noticed I was getting "kernel: portsLinkStaus=d" every 4 seconds, similar to above. I rolled back to 3.0.0.4.385.20490 and it has cleared.

It's good to know I'm not the only one with the issue! Thank you!!

Since I don't see any performance issues, I'm going to wait for the next firmware release now that I know it's not related to anything specific with my setup. (The messages every four seconds do fill up the log though!)

Hopefully Asus will address it soon.

Does anyone know if this "portLikStatus" problem is fixed in 3.0.0.4_385_20630?

No mention of it in the limited info on the download page.
Still nothing was changed - I contacted Asus in Poland - they said that will check by sending to global and response at all.

In meantime my wifi speed went down about half - I tried to install 20490 - still wifi slow so I updated back to 20630 - and getting now kernel: portsLinkStaus=8

I'm so tired of this NEVER working. The log is useless and always has been. I'm getting nothing but this "kernel: portsLinkStatus=6" and the usual "dnsmasq[397]: failed to send packet: Operation not permitted" over and over and over and have been for years now in terms of the dnsmasq messages. It's never fixed and nothing anyone has ever suggested here has ever gotten it to stop, at least for me. Oh, and of course the usual "syslog: WLCEVENTD wlceventd_proc_event" messages.

If I ever have a network problem I can't even begin to check the log for useful information as it's all garbage. Yeah, this Asus is a better router than my old Linksys routers ever were but at least those had useful meaningful logs to peruse.

I only look at the logs to see if they are still garbage and no other reason. I guess one day I'll swap to another firmware but the router does generally work fine so I don't want to jinx it any further.

I just updated to the latest 3.0.0.4.385_20631 - seems a very minor release from the change log compared with 20630. I was previously on the very old 3.0.0.4.384.81116 release, which I must admit was rock solid, and I had no spamming in the system log at all. Everything seems OK with 20631, but I have this annoying log spamming every 4 seconds, so I guess still not fixed at 20631. Is there anyone at version 2063x that does NOT have this message? I believe it is harmless (anyone believe otherwise?), but I guess so many writes to the log could in time wear out the flash faster? I left feedback via the router interface as was suggested - would be great if this could be fixed.

frequent writing of the log, i.e. many write operations will result in the death of the flash storage. :(

Yes indeed. I logged on via SSH. The timestamp of the syslog file, and it's contents, actually only see to update every 1 minute on the filesystem - must keep 1 minute of logs in memory then flush, since the messages themselves, that can be seen in the GUI, arrive every 4s. Obviously 1 update a minute is better than 1 every 4s, but still not great for the flash, and also, make the logs very difficult to read. Hopefully this will be fixed, I've left feedback with Asus via the router interface and raised a ticket via their website - I would encourage others to do the same, since they have emitted several releases without fixing this annoying bug - 20631, 20630 and the one before all have it.

I have raised a case with ASUS for this so hopefully their devs will look at it. They are suggesting that after a firmware update, that I factory reset the router. I am very doubtful that that will fix this spamming of the log. Can I just ask:

1. Has anyone tried a factory reset of their router after a firmware update to version 20585, 20630 or 20611 (which all have the issue)? Did it fix the issue?
2. Is anyone running 20585, 20630 or 20631 without seeing these messages in the log every 4s?

I have raised a case with ASUS for this so hopefully their devs will look at it. They are suggesting that after a firmware update, that I factory reset the router. I am very doubtful that that will fix this spamming of the log. Can I just ask:

1. Has anyone tried a factory reset of their router after a firmware update to version 20585, 20630 or 20611 (which all have the issue)? Did it fix the issue?
2. Is anyone running 20585, 20630 or 20631 without seeing these messages in the log every 4s?
I have done a couple of factory resets but as I am now using Merlin I have lost track of just what the results of that were. I suspect it didn't help as I think I would have noticed if it did.

About raising a case with ASUS. You think they would have noticed on their own. Do they not have a testing department that has some standard things they look at? Seems like logging would be one of the things they check. Also note my June 22 post. I raised a case with ASUS on this but their reply was boilerplate with no follow up when I replied that it did not help.

Last edited:
I have done a couple of factory resets but as I am now using Merlin I have lost track of just what the results of that were. I suspect it didn't help as I think I would have noticed if it did.

About raising a case with ASUS. You think they would have noticed on their own. Do they not have a testing department that has some standard things they look at? Seems like logging would be one of the things they check. Also note my June 22 post. I raised a case with ASUS on this but their reply was boilerplate with no follow up when I replied that it did not help.

Thanks for replying. I couldn't agree with you more. I guess not that many users look at the log, and it doesn't cause an issue as such, so they haven't fixed - but still, you would think having released 3 versions with this issue, they would have taken the time to fix it. Must say, otherwise I am very happy with my ASUS RT-AC88U - fast and stable for 2 years.

If anyone else can confirm if factory reset fixes this, or for some reason is not suffering the log spamming, please post.

Merlin's log page allows one to set the log level to any of the following:
Alert​
Critical​
Error​
Warning​
Notice​
Info​
Debug​
All​
I think it defaulted to Notice. I reduced it to Info because I was getting notices that various things in the house did lots of disconnecting/reconnecting (thermostat, alarm system, cell phones) and I got a log entry for each. I'm still experimenting to see what level I like best.

I don't remember the stock ASUS having this option but perhaps I wasn't paying attention.

Merlin's log page allows one to set the log level to any of the following:
Alert​
Critical​
Error​
Warning​
Notice​
Info​
Debug​
All​
I think it defaulted to Notice. I reduced it to Info because I was getting notices that various things in the house did lots of disconnecting/reconnecting (thermostat, alarm system, cell phones) and I got a log entry for each. I'm still experimenting to see what level I like best.

I don't remember the stock ASUS having this option but perhaps I wasn't paying attention.
But remember that all you are doing is hiding it from view. It’s still being spammed into the logs, you just don’t see it. I totally agree it’s annoying as hell and been going on about a year now when they toggled something in debug and haven’t turned it off since

But remember that all you are doing is hiding it from view. It’s still being spammed into the logs, you just don’t see it. I totally agree it’s annoying as hell and been going on about a year now when they toggled something in debug and haven’t turned it off since
The main culprit (portlink status every 4 seconds) is FIXED in the Merlin release -- fixed by removing the offending debug code. The other things I am experiencing are justified but a bit bothersome (disconnect/reconnect). These things can reasonably be expected/accepted in the log. The Merlin code gives one the ability to fine-tune this.

Second guessing myself now...maybe it does set the log level and how much is logged and nit just the view level?

It's actually been at least 3 years as that's when I bought my RT-AC88U and it's been happening ever since.

If anyone knows how to turn this off by SSHing into the router I'd be game to try that solution!

with help of https://fatmin.com/2015/01/04/configure-syslog-logging-levels-on-the-asus-rt-ac66u-router/
I changed the loglevel to 4 (warning), which prevents the logging of these stupid notifications.
ssh into the router using your router password
$ nvram show |grep log_level
log_level=5
$ nvram set log_level=4
$ nvram commit
$ reboot

that did it for me....ever since no notifications.... and logging has become functional again.
For me all these firmware upgrades breaks dns (all devices got slowed down resolving) and qnap LinkAggregation stopped working. The newest one was so bad that loading pages was dramatically slow. For me it wasn't logging issue.
I've moved to Merlin and I'm happy now :)

Btw.
Auto updating of Asus firmware was as the last straw that breaks the camel's back as I downgraded to last working and router auto updated to newest (faulty) version.

Last edited: