What's new

Possible bug: SMB Simpler Share Naming

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

helloguys

Occasional Visitor
RT-AC86U, Merlin 386.1_2.
After enabling "Simpler share naming", more and more smbd processes emerge on ps list. CPU spikes to 100%. After disabling the option, only one smbd process left. Everything back to normal. This is always reproducible. See screenshots below. (FYI, I did clean install: stock firmware > factory reset > Merlin > factory reset).

SimpleName.png

SMBD.png

Have you tried rebooting your PC(s)? It's possible that they're remembering to old pathname and repeatedly trying to connect to it.

Simpler sharing is working fine on my AC86U with 386.1_2 with two USB drives. One drive has two ext4 partitions and the other has three ext4 partitions. (Thanks ColinTaylor for making that easy to setup.)

So if a SMB client keeps trying the "wrong path", it will create a DoS attack and eventually bring down the router?

Anyway, I restarted the PC and re-enabled the "Simpler share naming" option. See how it goes. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!