What's new

Powerline Setup to the Garage

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Tokeroo

New Around Here
Here is my current situation. Initially we wanted to run a hardline to a router in the garage through an existing buried PVC conduit line, but the previous owner must of collected parts from garage sales because there are so many 90's that it is impossible to fish the line.

I have read about Powerline products but that was a decade ago and I haven't followed the advancement of technology.

The garage is on its on circuit, so my question would be:
Does this technology cross over to other circuits?

Much Appreciated

Depends on what you mean by "its own circuit".

Current powerline technology can go across phases of the typical U.S. 220V/ 110V split phase service. If the garage has its own meter, however, it's not going to work.

More info here.

Depends on what you mean by "its own circuit".

Current powerline technology can go across phases of the typical U.S. 220V/ 110V split phase service. If the garage has its own meter, however, it's not going to work.

More info here.

For some reason my brain is telling me that both adaptors need to be on the same breaker, but now I see that as long as there are no transformers the signal should transmit over all electrical lines in the house including the line to the garage with its own breaker.

Thanks

Distance?

If the garage is a detached unit and some distance from the house there could be problems. The distance that these adapters will work for you will depend on how far the sending unit is from your main service panel as well as the distance from the main service panel to the garage.

No way to really know until you give them a try. Buy from someplace you can return them if necessary.

Hopefully the main breaker box is on the same side as the garage. I would also use a plug on the same side of the garage to minimize the wire distance.