What's new

PPC MoCA 5-Port Active Return Splitter PPC-5M-U/U?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

GnatGoSplat

Occasional Visitor
Thinking about rewiring the coax that's accessible in the unfinished part of my basement. It's all RG-59 and I'm thinking to replace with RG-6. I'm currently using MoCA 2.5 with a 4-way passive MoCA splitter. I'm thinking to eliminate a daisy-chain setup consisting of 2-way splitter in a junction box and run both wires direct to the main splitter. That means I'd need to change to a 5-way. They seem very rare, I can only find 6-way passive MoCA splitters with 10-10.5dB drop.

If found this thing for sale in many places: https://www.ppc-online.com/product-search/amp-splitter-ppc-5m-u-u

It's advertised as being upstream/downstream unity gain. Do they actually work? What are the pros and cons?

Cheapest option is just to go with a cheapo 2-way splitter (which I own plenty) and run that to 2 rooms where I don't have MoCA endpoints so that it would end up 11dB x2 and 7dB x3 to the 3 rooms that do.

Is this for TV or data?

Why not simply go for Ethernet cable if the latter?

Is this for TV or data?

Why not simply go for Ethernet cable if the latter?

Yeah, that just occurred to me late last night hours after writing that post, lol!

I was originally using MoCA for all my HTPCs (3 of them), 2 of the 3 endpoints are unreachable (they are in fully finished rooms), so I was thinking about this from the mindset that I still need MoCA. However, I've since decommissioned my HTPCs in favor of streaming devices as I learned they do everything my HTPCs can do, and more, but at a fraction of the cost and electricity. Those are wifi-only so can't take advantage of MoCA.
Realizing that the only PCs I have left can be accessed from the unfinished part of my basement, it definitely makes more sense to run CAT6 instead of replacing RG59 with RG6.

You can use moca to site additional APs where you need them.

True. So far, not really needed though. My streaming sticks have an acceptably fast connection via Wifi 5.
I might pick up an OTG cable and try a gigabit USB ethernet adapter (I already have one that might work) just to see if there's any improvement at all going MoCA, but I feel like USB 2.0 is going to be a huge bottleneck (that's all these cheap streaming sticks support).

Thinking about rewiring the coax that's accessible in the unfinished part of my basement. It's all RG-59 and I'm thinking to replace with RG-6. I'm currently using MoCA 2.5 with a 4-way passive MoCA splitter. I'm thinking to eliminate a daisy-chain setup consisting of 2-way splitter in a junction box and run both wires direct to the main splitter. That means I'd need to change to a 5-way. They seem very rare, I can only find 6-way passive MoCA splitters with 10-10.5dB drop.

If found this thing for sale in many places: https://www.ppc-online.com/product-search/amp-splitter-ppc-5m-u-u

It's advertised as being upstream/downstream unity gain. Do they actually work? What are the pros and cons?

Cheapest option is just to go with a cheapo 2-way splitter (which I own plenty) and run that to 2 rooms where I don't have MoCA endpoints so that it would end up 11dB x2 and 7dB x3 to the 3 rooms that do.
I have one and it works great! I have the signal split to 4 different rooms. No signal loss.

just as importantly it made OTA reception stable. With normal quality MOCA splitter the OTA attenuation was too much and we had signal problems. This fixed that and we have solid OTA reception.

It is mounted in our attic. We are in Texas and summer temps in the attic are consistently 100 -110 F. It’s been working flawlessly for 4 years.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!