What's new

PPTP over PPPoA with SpeedTouch pppd loosing connection

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

winyl

New Around Here
I have SpeedTouch 608wl and Asus AC-68U connected together and doing PPTP over PPPoA bridge. The bridge works. When I unplug telephone line (rj-12) plug from SpeedTouch AC-68U will restore connection. Rhe same will happen when I unplug cable joining SpeedTouch and AC-68U. AC-68U will restore connection to internet, no problem.
But some times it will loose connection. As I am told when my ISP will reset all PPPoA connection some how. This will happen one a day. I don't know what ISP does to reset the PPPoA, but it will do something bad. When it happens, when I login to AC-68U and issue ps I see two pptp call managers one with lower and one with higher PID.
Code:
32302 admin     1408 S    pppd file /tmp/ppp/options.wan0
32304 admin     1408 S <  {pppd} pptp: call manager for 192.168.4.254
33450 admin     1408 S <  {pppd} pptp: call manager for 192.168.4.254
If I kill the one with lower PID the connection is restored by AC-68U. I know there should be control connection between ST608 and AC-68U but if I do:
Code:
iptables -L INPUT -v
Chain INPUT (policy ACCEPT 0 packets, 0 bytes)

pkts bytes target         prot opt in     out     source               destination
0     0         DROP      icmp —  ppp0   any     anywhere             anywhere             icmp echo-request
269K  306M     ACCEPT   all  —  any    any     anywhere             anywhere             state RELATED,ESTABLISHED
203 10139      DROP      all  —  any    any     anywhere             anywhere             state INVALID
6927  830K PTCSRVWAN      all  —  !br0   any     anywhere             anywhere
0     0        ACCEPT     tcp  —  eth0   any     anywhere             192.168.4.254        tcp dpt:1723
0     0        ACCEPT     gre  —  eth0   any     anywhere             192.168.4.254
I see open ports for control connection but there is no talk over it, like pptp server on SpeedTouch is not doing pptp control. But why it reconnects when unpluging/repluging cables than?
Looks like pppd should kill old call manager and spawn new one. Well, it spawns new one, but does not kill old one and becomes stuck when reconnecting. AC-68U will not restore the connection unless I login and manually kill old(one with lower PID) pptp call manager. Anyone has an idea?

These manufacturer specific half-bridge modes are always a pain, can you not get your isp to support PPPoE when the modem can be put into full-bridge mode? If you are stuck with this looks like you need a wan monitor ping script to do the actions you are taking manually?