What's new

[Preview 384/NG] Asuswrt-Merlin 384.5 early test builds

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

IPV6 does not work for me with the alpha builds 1 and 2. I'm on Comcast. I reverted back to 384.4_2 and IPV6 works. I know there were some issues with IPV6 on Comcast in some previous builds.

After upgrading from 384.4_2 to A2 my openvpn server doesn't work anymore. I am using asuscomm.com as ddns and the openvpn client on my smartphone tells me that poll timeout accured and its trying again. When pinging the ddns adress I get a pong back, but I can't check if its the right ip adress because I am at work. Will check the syslog later when I'm back home.

@RMerlin,

This may be normal. The below showed up in my log (screenshot).

I clicked on Clients List Icon. ‘Client Status’ then shows up in vertical pane on right. I then hit refresh. The message in the log happens when I hit refresh.

Thanks.

Attachments

• 5D312573-DEA8-4FBD-80BD-230C2E649080.jpeg
    5D312573-DEA8-4FBD-80BD-230C2E649080.jpeg
    10.1 KB · Views: 646
@RMerlin,

This may be normal. The below showed up in my log (screenshot).

I clicked on Clients List Icon. ‘Client Status’ then shows up in vertical pane on right. I then hit refresh. The message in the log happens when I hit refresh.

Thanks.
The service is called "link layer topology discovery client". It probably runs to see if there have been any changes to the list of clients on your network. In other words not a problem and is expected I think.

The service is called "link layer topology discovery client". It probably runs to see if there have been any changes to the list of clients on your network. In other words not a problem and is expected I think.
Thank you, skeal. Appreciate you.

Upgraded to this after lots of wi-fi issues with 384.4-2 on my AC3200 and downgrading to 380.69-2 which caused multiple lock-ups on the router after a day or so of usage. Been running 385 alpha 2 for about a day now with 35 or so connected devices and so far this is stable.

Many thanks for the continued hard work on these builds @RMerlin !!

***Update****
Well after about 24 hours same issue again unfortunately woke up to find that 2.4Ghz radio is no longer working and only way to get 2.4Ghz clients reconnected was to power cycle the router. Have now revered back to 384.3_beta3 but not holding out much hope. I have now tried various firmware versions and tried to roll back to 380.69_2 but no joy. I appreciate this not an issue @RMerlin has caused but something in the wireless drivers for this router but I'm now getting to the point I will have to start looking at a router from another manufacturer as the RT-AC3200 is just broken at this point. I just cant understand why some people are stating that this router is working fine on the latest firmware, i'm convinced it has something to do with number of clients connected or some features not been used by some owners.

the 2.4ghz network doesn't work at all. Refuses connections. Only way to "allow" 2.4ghz clients is to power cycle and connect within a few minutes BUT then they constantly disconnect and new clients cannot connect at all. RT-ac3200 on 384.4_2.

the 2.4ghz network doesn't work at all. Refuses connections. Only way to "allow" 2.4ghz clients is to power cycle and connect within a few minutes BUT then they constantly disconnect and new clients cannot connect at all. RT-ac3200 on 384.4_2.
I had ZERO luck with 2.4 GHz on 384.4 on AC86U. 384.5 A1/A2 resolved all the issues with wireless for me. I could not use 384.4 at all.

After upgrading from 384.4_2 to A2 my openvpn server doesn't work anymore. I am using asuscomm.com as ddns and the openvpn client on my smartphone tells me that poll timeout accured and its trying again. When pinging the ddns adress I get a pong back, but I can't check if its the right ip adress because I am at work. Will check the syslog later when I'm back home.

When I open the DDNS site on my router I get this error message:
"Unauthorized registration request!"

Seems that my router is not able to update the ddns name anymore after the update.. What could I do? =/

Code:
Apr  9 19:13:43 rc_service: httpds 463:notify_rc restart_ddns_le
Apr  9 19:13:43 start_ddns: update WWW.ASUS.COM dyndns, wan_unit 0
Apr  9 19:13:43 ddns_update: ez-ipupdate: starting...
Apr  9 19:13:43 ddns_update: connected to nwsrv-ns1.asus.com (103.10.4.108) on port 80.
Apr  9 19:13:46 ddns_update: Asus update entry:: return: HTTP/1.1 401 |Authorization failed^M Date: Mon, 09 Apr 2018 17:13:44 GMT^M Server: Apache^M X-Powered-By: PHP/5.6.30^M Content-Length: 0^M Content-Type: text/html; charset=UTF-8^M ^M
Apr  9 19:13:46 ddns_update: retval= 2, ddns_return_code (,401)
Apr  9 19:13:46 ddns_update: asusddns_update: 2

IPV6 does not work for me with the alpha builds 1 and 2. I'm on Comcast. I reverted back to 384.4_2 and IPV6 works. I know there were some issues with IPV6 on Comcast in some previous builds.
I had to do a factory reset (initialize) after installing 384.5 alpha 1 to get my ipv6 to work right again but it fixed it

I have my own OpenVPN server "custom" firewall rules written in /jffs/scripts/openvpn-event. Otherwise, the built-in firewall rules for OpenVPN server in Asuswrt-Merlin 384.5 interfere with my Tor firewall rules. Please bring back the custom firewall in OpenVPN server, as it lets me control the firewall.

I have reverted the "run the firewall rules" section for now.
https://github.com/RMerl/asuswrt-me...aeb464c/release/src/router/rc/openvpn.c#L1379

Would moving the postconf execution to right before running the firewall script allow you to wedge into it to modify the firewall script to your liking? I see it's currently executed a bit too early.

Ac3200 here. Factory reset on 384.4 and now with spanning tree disabled. Working well with 26 clients about 1/3 wifi though most on 5GHz. Two devices on 2.4 working fine for 24hrs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ac3200 here. Factory reset on 384.4 and now with spanning tree disabled. Working well with 26 clients about 1/3 wifi though most on 5GHz. Two devices on 2.4 working fine for 24hrs

This is great news! Yet another AC3200 user satified with this alpha!!

This is great news! Yet another AC3200 user satified with this alpha!!
Just for clarification, I dont think he is running alpha. He looks to be running the 384.4 based on the inline quote. 384.4 has had numerous stability issues for AC3200 wifi. I think he is reporting that by disabling the spanning tree protocol, most of his wireless difficulties that he experienced has been alleviated.

Just for clarification, I dont think he is running alpha. He looks to be running the 384.4 based on the inline quote. 384.4 has had numerous stability issues for AC3200 wifi. I think he is reporting that by disabling the spanning tree protocol, most of his wireless difficulties that he experienced has been alleviated.
Strange that he posted in this thread then. :rolleyes:

Using 384.5 alpha 2 on AC88U and I can't log in with the ASUS app on my phone. Tried the HTTP and HTTPS from inside my house, on the WI-FI, not the internet. No go.

Did you have an issue that warranted you having to disable Spanning Tree... a little more details may be helpful to understand if others should disable it or if it was by personal preference.

Did you have an issue that warranted you having to disable Spanning Tree... a little more details may be helpful to understand if others should disable it or if it was by personal preference.

I was Previously running 384.4_2 and was getting a loss of connectivity (mostly external) after anything from 29s of minutes to many hours. Sometimes it fixed itself after a number of hours.

I noticed some bridge reconfiguration in the logs.... Spanning tree activity... And disabled the protocol. This seemed to resolve my issues.

I then upgraded to the alpha which also worked well.

I don't yet know why the stp disable helped or if it's down to another errant device on my network

Using 384.5 alpha 2 on AC88U and I can't log in with the ASUS app on my phone. Tried the HTTP and HTTPS from inside my house, on the WI-FI, not the internet. No go.
Factory reset the router and start from scratch.
I had the same problem with the 5300.

Would moving the postconf execution to right before running the firewall script allow you to wedge into it to modify the firewall script to your liking? I see it's currently executed a bit too early.
Yes, that would be perfect. Thank you!!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!