What's new

Printer Access on Guest Network - RT-AC86U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

toddk63

New Around Here
I have done a lot of reading on this issue on the compuserves. Much of the most useful info is from this group (SNB). So I joined. My setup is a ASUS RT-AC86U router. My main LAN is 192.168.0.1 which has my ethernet connected desktops and a Linux server (in the same room). I want to to set up a wireless "Guest" network that cannot see the desktops and server but can access the printer (Brother MFC-J825DW) on 192.168.0.9 which is wireless on the main SSID. I have researched multiple path to this end and they include...
- Set up guest network in router with LAN access disabled. This sets up a new subnet 192.168.101.0/24. So no access to the desktops and the server but also no access to the printer. I then tried static routing and firewall rules (network services filter) native to the router to allow access to the printer but could not get that to work. Is it possible to get this to work? I may just be missing some key elements on the setup.
- Set up guest network in router with LAN access enabled. Now printer worked, but I soon found out you cannot firewall filter in the same subnet to prevent access to the desktops/server
- I have read a little about iptables and such. Is this inclusive of the native firewall rule or takes the place of them?
- I am not opposed to buying a smart switch and setting up a VLAN, but would first like to know how to do it otherwise with the devices I have..

I would like to know the easiest way to do this as well as any other more complex ways that might work as I am trying to learn this stuff. I would also like to know how to interpret the routing table, particularly the Flags and Iface. The pic below shows the routing table for the guest network subnet when LAN access is disabled

1662087196830.png

Thanks. I do have Merlin on it and will look in to YazFi. Will a VLAN switch also accomplish my end goal?

Thanks. I do have Merlin on it and will look in to YazFi. Will a VLAN switch also accomplish my end goal?
No, because you're talking about wireless clients connected to one SSID accessing a wireless printer on another SSID. Switches are wired (Ethernet) devices. Additionally the Asus firmware does not support user VLANs.