What's new

Privacy Filter (Another IPSET Script)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

closing up shop. this isnt worth my time anymore with the constant lack of imagination from the other scripters make it not worth, it it was fun now its not.

closing up shop. this isnt worth my time anymore with the constant lack of imagination from the other scripters make it not worth, it it was fun now its not.

I don't know why you would quit just because things get hard. You have a good product and I as well as many other people chose this over others because of how well it works for us. But that is your decision to make.
Good luck and thanks for the good products that you have provided for us to use.

Great work, without a doubt!

But the rest of you would in German: "Kindergarten" call. Sorry. o_O

Deleted everything, blamed the failure on 'lack of imagination from the other scripters' whatever that means, (I imagine swetoast thinks it means it wasn't his fault)...childish behaviour.

Anyway, its all toast now..

TOAST
Destroyed, terminated, ceased functioning, ended abruptly by external forces
"My car was toast after I hit that wall"

Deleted everything, blamed the failure on 'lack of imagination from the other scripters' whatever that means, (I imagine swetoast thinks it means it wasn't his fault)...childish behaviour.

Anyway, its all toast now..

This is a perfect example of why a lot of people don't donate. You make a donation to help support the development of the software and then that person runs because he doesn't like something. It could be criticism or just a person that did not install it right saying something wrong. Who knows. My point is one needs to have a thick skin if you are going to do this type of work and if you don't you should just stay as JUST ANOTHER USER.
I'm no expert but i'm sure it will only be a matter of time before someone creates something as good if not better anyway and who knows, that may be the real reason they cut and ran anyway. ;)

I'm no expert but i'm sure it will only be a matter of time before someone creates something as good if not better anyway and who knows, that may be the real reason they cut and ran anyway. ;)

Or someone can simply reupload his existing script on Github, and people resume development off it. That's part of the nature of open source - unless the author put a restrictive license or some clear Copyright claim on his code, it's open for people to fork it out and work on it.

It's also a good incentive for people to fork existing repository, so if a repository were to disappear, mirrors of it exist. I even do this for myself, as I have a (non-public) Git mirror of my Github repository that gets synced every night. If something were to happen to Github, I already have the other repo ready to be made available to everyone else.

This is a perfect example of why a lot of people don't donate. You make a donation to help support the development of the software and then that person runs because he doesn't like something. It could be criticism or just a person that did not install it right saying something wrong. Who knows. My point is one needs to have a thick skin if you are going to do this type of work and if you don't you should just stay as JUST ANOTHER USER.

Since swetoast removed his repository. People probably shall respect his will. I don't not see why you want to upload and make it public again. For one it's simple to rewrite from scratch, and second there are a couple of other choices on this forum.

Now back to your post. I don't think it's fair comment. The guy is certainly motivated to contribute (and perhaps expecting some donation as windfall in return).

I couldn't understand the recent surge of scripting activity, in particular on various ipset block lists. People try this and that..in fact without understanding what it does...you're putting unnecessary junk on your router. Anyhow, it's a good thing that more ppl contribute with different ideas and trying different thing (heck! it's more fun than reading RMerlin doing the chores on this forum).

swetoast's ublockr is good but offered to the wrong user base. I can feel he's a very young man but with potential :)

one post pending moderation...

View attachment 9239
Not seeing why it triggered the mod rule, I'm not seeing an offending word in your text. Co!!ee is one of the words, for example.

Could you elaborate about your ublockr remark?
I liked the 'competition' while it lasted.

one post pending moderation...

View attachment 9239

That was why I said you need thick skin if you are going to do this work. You work hard and long hrs thinking things out to have someone rip your guts out with a remark or god knows what else. I'm thankful for his work and everyone else work.

What is junk to you may not be junk to someone else. I used his stuff and it seems to work well for me. I just don't think it is good to leave and take every thing with you. If you decide you had enough then walk away and leave your stuff as is for whom ever else wants to continue the project or use it as is. Think of where you would be if everyone removed there projects when they decided to stop or take a break. There are lessons to be learned in everyone's work good or bad and some times its nice to look back and say how did he do that or why does this make that do that.

Just my input.

Or someone can simply reupload his existing script on Github, and people resume development off it. That's part of the nature of open source - unless the author put a restrictive license or some clear Copyright claim on his code, it's open for people to fork it out and work on it.

That would work - just keep in mind that copyright, if not GPL or other licensing does take play here... depends on the license he released his code - and that can be revised for code he specifically wrote...

Depends on the country, but copyright doesn't need to be explicitly expressed... it implicitly exists.

That was why I said you need thick skin if you are going to do this work. You work hard and long hrs thinking things out to have someone rip your guts out with a remark or god knows what else. I'm thankful for his work and everyone else work.

What is junk to you may not be junk to someone else. I used his stuff and it seems to work well for me. I just don't think it is good to leave and take every thing with you. If you decide you had enough then walk away and leave your stuff as is for whom ever else wants to continue the project or use it as is. Think of where you would be if everyone removed there projects when they decided to stop or take a break. There are lessons to be learned in everyone's work good or bad and some times its nice to look back and say how did he do that or why does this make that do that.

Just my input.

You come here and grab stuff for free. Stop judging a contributor if you're decent enough. Thick skin?! You'd better have it or else be killed by cosmic radiation.

You come here and grab stuff for free. Stop judging a contributor if you're decent enough. Thick skin?! You'd better have it or else be killed by cosmic radiation.

Open mouth and insert foot! :eek: I donate as well as donated to this cause so that makes me a contributor as well in my own little way. I shore as heck don't come here and grab stuff for free so you should know a little more about things before you make a statement like that.

I have thick skin :rolleyes:. I programmed web content back in the 90's as well as graphic arts so i know all about thick skin. Thank you very much.

crystal-roxx-web.jpg

:D
I was not judging anyone. Just making a statement.

Last edited:
That would work - just keep in mind that copyright, if not GPL or other licensing does take play here... depends on the license he released his code - and that can be revised for code he specifically wrote...

Depends on the country, but copyright doesn't need to be explicitly expressed... it implicitly exists.

All his scripts state GPL v3.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As @mrchow points out, @swetoast scripts state GPLv3:

the freedom to use the software for any purpose,
the freedom to change the software to suit your needs,
the freedom to share the software with your friends and neighbors, and
the freedom to share the changes you make

Or at least I thought it was when it was on GitHub.

The privacy-filter and malware-filter scripts are available on gitlab:
https://gitlab.com/swe_toast/privacy-filter
https://gitlab.com/swe_toast/malware-filter

The license info here https://gitlab.com/swe_toast/privacy-filter/blob/master/License.md

Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International (CC BY-NC-ND 4.0)
This is a human-readable summary of (and not a substitute for) the license.

You are free to:
Share — copy and redistribute the material in any medium or format
The licensor cannot revoke these freedoms as long as you follow the license terms.

Under the following terms:

Attribution — You must give appropriate credit, provide a link to the license, and indicate if changes were made. You may do so in any reasonable manner, but not in any way that suggests the licensor endorses you or your use.
NonCommercial — You may not use the material for commercial purposes.
NoDerivatives — If you remix, transform, or build upon the material, you may not distribute the modified material.
No additional restrictions — You may not apply legal terms or technological measures that legally restrict others from doing anything the license permits.

Notices:
You do not have to comply with the license for elements of the material in the public domain or where your use is permitted by an applicable exception or limitation.
No warranties are given. The license may not give you all of the permissions necessary for your intended use. For example, other rights such as publicity, privacy, or moral rights may limit how you use the material.
The scripts are no longer available on the IPSET Wiki though.

Last edited:
As @mrchow points out, @swetoast scripts state GPLv3:
Or at least I thought it was!
The privacy-filter and malware-filter scripts are available on gitlab:
The scripts are no longer available on the IPSET Wiki though.
The user deleted his account here, deleted his scripts on gitlab and apparently has now re-posted them there, under a much more restrictive license?
Time to end this charade, don't support such a behavior.

The user deleted his account here, deleted his scripts on gitlab and apparently has now re-posted them there, under a much more restrictive license?

Indeed, and it's unusual to experience such immature behaviour from a user of this forum, the many contributors here are without a doubt the most knowledgeable and helpful as you will find. In fact without the help he received from other members here his scripts would have been pretty poor, and remember early on when someone asked him for support he told them to 'go away and learn Linux'

Anyway, once the toys have been thrown out of the pram and true colours shown, that's really the end of the line, the script kiddy could have progressed here, but if you aren't mature enough to become part of the community then its just as well he departed for good, the charade is now over, and reputation is well...toasted.

I don't want to poke the bear, because @swetoast is a smart guy and writes good stuff. But I think we all need to take a step back and deep breath. This is a opensource community, and we all learn from each-other, improving in the process.

But I do find it a bit ironic when someone slaps a very restrictive license on their code then copy and pastes a function from another members script on the forum without any credit (which technically would be copywritten because no license is specified). Now I personally don't care, I'll be the first to admit I've learned from examples from @swetoast and other scripter's code to improve my own. But lets not take things too seriously.

Last edited:
What I'm trying to say @Adamm is that swetoast should man up and post the new scripts himself here, and not employ another user to post it for him.
He said he's fed up with our community and therefore decided to stop working on the scripts.
So why post an updated version here if the user clearly does not want the community to have it?