What's new

Privacy Filter (Another IPSET Script)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I believe I hold the dubious honor of being one of "the other scripters" in his last comment on #361

He was quite amicable at first, in fact I believe he even mentions me in some commits like this, this and this. But now I am the one "with the constant lack of imagination"

But I do find it a bit ironic when someone slaps a very restrictive license on their code then copy and pastes a function from another members script
There are even more portions of his code right now that are copied as is from some of my existing scripts. Quite a few to list, in fact. I do not mind that one bit, but I do mind his recent behavior.

I think what led to this, is that as he was growing his list of urls for his malware-filter script, I pointed out it does not provide for CIDR entries at the time. And also offered a complete solution in a private conversation (as I felt he should have the final say of what goes in his scripts) It was turned quickly downhill from there on. I think he felt insecure and instead of acknowledgment and further bettering the script for the good of all, he chose to revert the changes, removing my mention and then he began ranting and berating.

We all learn from each other. A lot of what I know has been from these forums itself. I completely agree with others on the last page that such behavior should not be encouraged.

I think this forum and it's contributions from users is an invaluable asset in home/small office security. The support for these add-ons is outstanding. Maybe the loss of one strengthens those that remain! Keep up the great research you guys!!

Folks, please drop the discussion regarding the individual. Regardless of his failings, I'd rather not see this thread devolve into a personal attack discussion.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

CIDR ranges are important.... as we're seeing cloud based scanners these days...

See below - without CIDR range blocks...

Code:
 --------------------- fail2ban-messages Begin ------------------------
 Banned services with Fail2Ban:                             Bans:Unbans
   sshd:                                                   [1123:1123]
      116.31.116.15                                          18:18
      31.207.47.36                                            9:9
      91.197.232.103                                          8:8
      103.79.143.132                                          8:8
      111.40.166.130                                          8:8
      166.130.8.104 (mobile-166-130-8-104.mycingular.net)     8:8
      76.75.17.130                                            7:7
      201.177.31.187 (201-177-31-187.speedy.com.ar)           6:6
      39.155.136.34                                           6:6
      46.237.127.58 (static.bulsat.com)                       6:6
      61.177.172.14                                           6:6
      62.61.163.20                                            6:6
      69.81.51.209 (user-12l2cuh.cable.mindspring.com)        6:6
      103.207.37.169                                          6:6
      111.202.133.66                                          6:6
      113.73.119.0                                            6:6

blah blah blah - lot's of single entries below this line...
Please, it is possible to block IPs for some time after a failed login using fail2ban? I see only ssh in your code.
Thank you!

Hello, I believe s.gateway.messenger.live.com is blocking skype. Simply removing it out of my local copy of the privacy list isn't a great long term solution as I set it up to re-pull the list for new updates.
Is there a way to whitelist s.gateway.messenger.live.com because it seems to be messing up Skype? Or can it be removed from the list?
Thanks.

Hello, I believe s.gateway.messenger.live.com is blocking skype. Simply removing it out of my local copy of the privacy list isn't a great long term solution as I set it up to re-pull the list for new updates.
Is there a way to whitelist s.gateway.messenger.live.com because it seems to be messing up Skype? Or can it be removed from the list?
Thanks.
Since swetoast is no longer active on the forum, I suggest you go to his GitHub site and log and issue here: https://gitlab.com/swe_toast/privacy-filter/issues

But it appears you may already have. :)