What's new

Problem with home network and internet

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

igor.S

New Around Here
Hello
First time post.
Ok, this is situation in my home. as in picture.Everything is connected with LAN-to-LAN.
On routers 4-5-6 DHCP is disabled. On those i have assigned static ip addresses.
Cable modem: 192.168.0.1
Router 4: 192.168.0.2
Router 5: 192.168.0.5
Router 6: 192.168.0.3
Situation.jpg

My problem is that on router 4 and 5 i don't have internet as showed on next pictures. But everything is working. when i connect on those over wireless or on lan, i have full internet access in all points.
So i cannot use some advance things on this routers over mobile devices or over computers applications .

So where did i go wrong.

MI3-Router.jpg

TP-link-R.jpg

Those routers are not negotiating the connection, that is done by router 1.

That was the only way i could do it.
I need solution where every connected device in network can "see" shared folders on every computer.
For example: device 2(eon box) is android TV box, and i need sometime streaming from computer 2 to that box. This kind of setup, makes that possible.

That was the only way i could do it.
There are other setup scenarios, but you are going to introduce a fair amount of complexity. You are the only one who can decide if the effort is worth the results.

Do you really need all those routers and the complex setup?

If yes, then it sounds like you need to setup multiple NATs so that your Router 1 can be plugged into the WAN ports of the secondary routers. The messy part will be setting up all your routing tables.

There are other setup scenarios, but you are going to introduce a fair amount of complexity. You are the only one who can decide if the effort is worth the results.

Do you really need all those routers and the complex setup?

If yes, then it sounds like you need to setup multiple NATs so that your Router 1 can be plugged into the WAN ports of the secondary routers. The messy part will be setting up all your routing tables.
To tell you the true, yes. I do need.
Reason. I have house with solid concrete walls reinforced with iron rods. on one side of the house, there is balcony that has nice sitting area. on other side of the house is garden where i rest in the afternoon. So one router is for balcony, one router is for garden and one is for inside of house. On primary router wifi is disconnected. on tp link wr and on mi router there is usb ports for sharing. sometimes from diferent places in and outside of the house i listen music from my external usb drive attached on router, or from my computer. my wife and son as well. There is plenty sharing and streaming between our computers and our mobile phones. So that is why i need all this. So if you can give me some tutorial how to and what to. If this turn out to be complicated, than i will live with situation as is.

Sent from my Redmi 5 Plus using Tapatalk

“My problem is that on router 4 and 5 i don't have internet as showed on next pictures. But everything is working”

I don’t understand the second sentence

All that the pictures you provided show is that the router wan port is not connected to the ISP. That is ok.
Router 4 and 5 should only be functioning as a switch + wireless Access Point based on what i understand that you want to do.

Are your wireless devices able to access the internet ?

Are your devices able to stream to where you need them to stream ?

If no on either question, what is not working ?

Lets make it clear.
I have internet access in all points. Without any problems or interuptions.
But when i log on to router/s it shows that it is not connected on internet. And because situation is like that, i can't control routers with mobile(or computer) applications. I have 10 years old daughter and sometimes i need some parents controling with internet trafic.

Lets make it clear.
I have internet access in all points. Without any problems or interuptions.
But when i log on to router/s it shows that it is not connected on internet. And because situation is like that, i can't control routers with mobile(or computer) applications. I have 10 years old daughter and sometimes i need some parents controling with internet trafic.

"Lets make it clear" .......... as already stated , those routers cannot possibly show "internet connection" because they are NOT acting as routers , they are access points and DO NOT negotiate the internet connection, your modem router #1 is doing that.

To use parental controls on those two devices they must be in router mode. But then your clients will lose the ability to "see" each other across the the different routers. There's no way around that.

Are you only trying to control internet access or are you needing to control lan access to your lan based streaming devices ?

If internet only, then you should be able to configure a schedule based firewall rule at router 1 based on your daughters device IP or MAC address. MAC based is more reliable as it is device specific and a little harder to fake. On some lan or router equipment you can block access unless the MAC address matches a predetermined list.

If router 1 can not do that or if you need to control lan as well, you likely need to replace the switch device with a fully managed switch ( level 3 or 2) and configure firewall and access rules there.

Last edited:
But then your clients will lose the ability to "see" each other across the the different routers. There's no way around that.
Actually, I think there is a way. With each nested router running their own NAT, and the main connected to the WAN on each of them, then it is "simply" a matter of setting the routing tables in each router to be aware of all the other subnets.

Will Apple’s Bonjour protocol work across that topology ?
I thought they had to be on the identical subnet ?

Actually, I think there is a way. With each nested router running their own NAT, and the main connected to the WAN on each of them, then it is "simply" a matter of setting the routing tables in each router to be aware of all the other subnets.
Yes that's a possible setup. The problem is that when people talk about devices "seeing" each other on the network they typically mean browsing the local subnet, or using services like DLNA which work on broadcast traffic. This won't work anymore because broadcast traffic doesn't route across subnets.

Ok thanks guys. A lot.
It looks like i will have to live with situation and setup as it is now.