What's new

Problem with NetGear WNDR3700 and VOIP setup

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Gudge

New Around Here
I recently bought a Netgear WNDR3700 to replace my Linksys WRT54G. Everything works great except my VOIP phone.

My VOIP device is a Grandstream HT502. I've set up port forwarding for UDP ports 69, 5060-5063 and 10,000-20,000, (the same ports were forwarded by the Linksys router).

I can swap out the Netgear and put the Linksys back in and the VOIP setup starts working again.

Does anyone know what settings I need in order to get VOIP to work with the Netgear WNDR3700?

Thanks

Gudge

Sometimes routers need an ALG (Application Layer Gateway) for some VoIP adapters to work behind NAT routers. Or there may be a setting in the Grandstream that you can try.

You can also try putting the HT502 in front of the WNDR3700.

Tim,

Thanks for the reply.

Do you know if putting the HT502 between my router and the cable modem will affect routing performance at all? Will I effectively be in a double-NAT situation?

I know I don't have access to all the settings on the Grandstream (Broadvoice locks the advanced settings down), but I'll see what things I can tweak.

Cheers

Gudge

Do you know if putting the HT502 between my router and the cable modem will affect routing performance at all? Will I effectively be in a double-NAT situation?
It could if you have fast download speed. I'd just try it and see.

Reporting back...

I was finally able to get my VOIP setup (HT-502 ATA and BroadVoice) to work with the Netgear WNDR3700.

I had to install the V1.0.4.55 firmware and check the 'Disable SIP ALG' checkbox on the WAN Setup page. I also configured my HT-502 to have a static IP address and static DNS settings. The reason for this is to avoid the WNDR3700 processing the DNS requests (which it would do if I used DHCP).

I was able to make outbound calls without checking the 'Disable SIP ALG', but in order to get inbound calls to work, I had to check that checkbox.

Gudge

Thanks for reporting back. Glad you got it working.