What's new

Problem with Sharp "scan to Folder" after router upgrade

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Richard Chalk

New Around Here
I have just replaced an old Asus rt-N16 router with a newer RT-AC1900 (68u) router, and have run into a problem. We have a Sharp multi-function system, which includes a scan-to-folder function, with the folder being on a local computer. This worked fine with the old router, but gets a Network Timeout error with the new one. The Sharp Service technician says that the scanner cannot see the computer on the network. He tells me that is starts with SMB3 protocol, but will default to SMB2, or even SMB1 if necessary to achieve a connection. I have tried with stock firmware, and Merlin firmware, but no luck. I have compared settings to the old router, and can't find anything significantly different. Can anyone suggest what I might try.

Thanks,
Richard

Did the IP address of the computer change when the new router took over? That would be my guess and the Sharp needs to be told the new address of the computer.

The computer also has to be able to talk to the printer. Manually assigning ip address to the printer and/or computer(s) might solve the problem.

Printing works fine, and according to the Sharp tech, the unit can do a search for available folders, and it does not see the computers at all (there are actually two different ones). He had the IP addresses of the computers, but could not see them, or connect to either one.

Without knowing any information about this Sharp unit or how it's been configured it's difficult to speculate on the cause of the problem.

What is the operating system used on the target computers?

Gentlemen, thanks for your help and suggestions. It turns out that the problem was actually caused by a recent upgrade to Windows 10, which blocked the folders on the computers. It had nothing to do with the router, and all is good now.