What's new

Problems with gaming whilst another user is downloading a large file

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Iains

New Around Here
Hi wonder if anyone can help. I have a MoCA setup in my house. Everything normally works fine. I have the cable modem connected to a router which is brand new. I have then connected from the router to the Motorola MoCA box. Then into the coax. Then in my study out of the coax into another Motorola MoCA box and then into a netgear switch. I have two gaming pcs connected to the switch. One is my sons gaming machine and one is mine. When I download a large file whilst he is playing an online game he is getting freezes lag etc. However if we are both gaming we get no problems. Tested MoCA speed and getting almost a 1gigbit connection around the house. I’m on 380mbjt internet connection. Tested both pcs and get 380mbit to the pcs when doing a speed test. It’s really strange as everything seems to work fine. I’ve also check to see how much bandwidth I’m using when I’m downloading a file whilst he is gaming and there is plenty of headroom. It’s weird it’s almost like downloading files interferes with gaming. But gaming does not cause a problem with other gaming. Router is a brand new qnap qhora. Switches are new etc. Everything seems to work great. I’ve even tried throttling my downloads and it still cause a problem but only when downloading on one pc and gaming on another.
It’s driving me bonkers as I love the MoCA setup is flawless apart from this one problem please can anyone shed any light on this?

Gaming actually uses little bandwidth in comparison to file downloads and is more dependent on latency on the local and wider network. Have you tried using FlexQoS to see if this improves your situation? You can adjust the file downloads to the lowest priority which should ensure gaming packets aren’t as badly affected when file downloads are happening.

Gaming actually uses little bandwidth in comparison to file downloads and is more dependent on latency on the local and wider network. Have you tried using FlexQoS to see if this improves your situation? You can adjust the file downloads to the lowest priority which should ensure gaming packets aren’t as badly affected when file downloads are happening.
Thanks for the tip but I have a qnap router and this looks like it would only work on an ASUS router ?

Think I’ve solved the problem. Switched off file and printer sharing and qos on both pcs and enabled SNP on the router and all good no problems so far

Same issue here after recently installing an AV2 adapter. When my son download over AV2 it impact us all. I have an ASUS RT-AC1900P router but never enabled QoS as I want to avoid saying yes to Trend Micro licence. Would FlexQoS solve this issue? What is SNP?

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!