What's new

Processes?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

johnathonm

Regular Contributor
Hi,

Odd question, I always thought that DNSMASQ was handing out my ip's and handling my DNS functionality. However, if I kill the DNSMASQ process, I still have full functionality for DHCP and can still surf the web (I do not have any manually assigned addresses on the machine), this doesn't make sense to me... what am I missing?

Also, udhcpc from what I have read is a small DHCP server, why are there two DHCP servers running?

I'm confused as hell.

Thanks for any clarification.

Johnathon

Udhcpc is a dhcp client getting the IP from your ISP

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

However, if I kill the DNSMASQ process, I still have full functionality for DHCP and can still surf the web (I do not have any manually assigned addresses on the machine), this doesn't make sense to me... what am I missing?
What do you mean by "I still have full functionality for DHCP"? Without a DHCP server your clients will not be able to acquire an IP address when they connect to your network. That won't stop existing clients from functioning because they have already acquired their addresses.

Hi Colin,

I assumed that DNS and DHCP services were provided by Dnsmasq, soley. I did not realize that there were two DHCP servers. Even when Dnsmasq is killed, there still is DNS functionality. That's the part I didn't understand, and still don't have a clear answer as to how. I am also having an odd issue now where Dnsmasq is dying on me as of late. Any suggestions on that one?

-Johnathon

I assumed that DNS and DHCP services were provided by Dnsmasq, soley. I did not realize that there were two DHCP servers. Even when Dnsmasq is killed, there still is DNS functionality. That's the part I didn't understand, and still don't have a clear answer as to how. I am also having an odd issue now where Dnsmasq is dying on me as of late. Any suggestions on that one?
Yes, sorry. I was only referring to your comment about DHCP, "I still have full functionality for DHCP". dnsmasq does indeed act as both a DHCP server and DNS server. I'd have to know more about your particular DNS setup and what you are doing with the clients to understand how you're still able to surf the web.

You may have told the clients to use external DNS servers directly rather than the router's. Or you may have another DHCP/DNS server on your network. It's possible that the router's watchdog process is restarting dnsmasq after you've killed it. There's lots of possibilities.

If you're having "problems" with dnsmasq I'd concentrate on fixing that.

Could also be simple DNS caching on the clients. Once killing dnsmasq have you tried connecting to a website you’ve never been to before?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Could also be simple DNS caching on the clients. Once killing dnsmasq have you tried connecting to a website you’ve never been to before?
This....remember there are two additional levels of DNS caching beyond that provided by dnsmasq. The browser has it's own cache as well as a client level cache (in most cases).

@johnathonm I just want to add that DHCP leases expire only when the lease time is up, so nothing might be out of order until your client has to renew. Try killing dnsmasq and turn the wifi/ethernet on your client off and on again (or try to renew your lease manually).