What's new

Solved Prove me wrong: Wifi 2.4G problem when USB-storage attached?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ac3200user

Occasional Visitor
Hi all,

Can somebody check if my experience is wrong or right?
I've had a problem with my 2.4G wifi: all of a sudden the 2.4G clients could not connect to my router anymore. They connected to my other routers in Mesh-mode, but not to my main router anymore. I've searched and searched: did a hard reset, etc. But nothing worked. Until I figured out that the problems started shortly after i attached a usb-powered external harddrive to one of the usb-ports of my main router.
I disconnected the drive (plugged out), restarted the router, and all was well again....!

My setup:
Main router: RT-AX86u
Aimesh: 2x RT-AC68u
Firmware: Merlin 388.1 stable

Question to you: did i (accidentally) discover a bug? Or do you not have the same experience when plugging in a (usb-powered) external drive?

Looking forward to hear your experiences.

Hi all,

Can somebody check if my experience is wrong or right?
I've had a problem with my 2.4G wifi: all of a sudden the 2.4G clients could not connect to my router anymore. They connected to my other routers in Mesh-mode, but not to my main router anymore. I've searched and searched: did a hard reset, etc. But nothing worked. Until I figured out that the problems started shortly after i attached a usb-powered external harddrive to one of the usb-ports of my main router.
I disconnected the drive (plugged out), restarted the router, and all was well again....!

My setup:
Main router: RT-AX86u
Aimesh: 2x RT-AC68u
Firmware: Merlin 388.1 stable

Question to you: did i (accidentally) discover a bug? Or do you not have the same experience when plugging in a (usb-powered) external drive?

Looking forward to hear your experiences.

The issue is likely EMI generated by higer frequency USB3.x data comms interfering with the router's 2.4 WLAN. You could try setting the router USB to 2.0 Mode (lower data rate, less EMI). A good USB cable/shielding might help.

OE

Status
Not open for further replies.