What's new

public ip from the inside

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

CLaudio

Occasional Visitor
hi my question is quite easy but unfortunately i can't find a solution for that. I have a couple of server in my LAN and i port mapped the router (Vodafone Station) to access the servers from the outside... Now my problem is that when i am outside i can access the server through the ip address xx.xx.xx.xx: port and when i m inside the lan i can only access the servers through the local address 192.168.1.x. With my former router i was allowed to access my servers with the same public ip address even when i was under the Local network (writing down xx.xx.xx.xx: port) and now it's not possible anymore with this new router. I guess there should be some setting or rule to set up in the router. It's quite a big problem for me, because i have some App on the phone and Bookmark to point at my server and this way i need to have double version of those - 1 when i am out of home, - 2 when i m inside my LAN.

could you help? thank you

Using just the Vodafone Station you would have to log onto it and issue some iptables commands:

https://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/282086/how-does-nat-reflection-nat-loopback-work
and is it possible to do it with the vodafone station?
it looks like a command line set up.

It would be much easier just to create 2 bookmarks, one for the WAN and one for the LAN.
i am really sorry but i didnt understand that option?
what you mean 2 bookmarks? do you mean just what i am doing now?

If you don't want to modify your routers code because it doesn't support static entries then you can use a DNS server on the inside of your network. Point your local workstations at your inside DNS. They will resolve the IP address as an inside IP address.

A lot of routers have support for this especially the small business routers.

If you don't want to modify your routers code because it doesn't support static entries then you can use a DNS server on the inside of your network. Point your local workstations at your inside DNS. They will resolve the IP address as an inside IP address.

do you think i could do that with a raspberry pi also?

If you don't want to modify your routers code because it doesn't support static entries then you can use a DNS server on the inside of your etwork. Point your local workstations at your inside DNS. They will resolve the IP address as an inside IP address.

also a problem might be that from the outside i call the server like this http://xx.xx.xx.xx: port and then the router do the port forwarding to the local ip. if i use a dns server inside the lan... can convert the public ip xx.xx.xx.xx to local ip (always the same) and doesnt handle the port ---- i guess

also a problem might be that from the outside i call the server like this http://xx.xx.xx.xx: port and then the router do the port forwarding to the local ip. if i use a dns server inside the lan... can convert the public ip xx.xx.xx.xx to local ip (always the same) and doesnt handle the port ---- i guess

When you access from the inside your DNS server knows your server as a private IP address. It does not even know about the public IP address. Since your DNS request is solved on your DNS server it will not request the outside public IP address in the internet. All your ports are open on the inside of your network because local access inside the network is not passing through the firewall.

You need to be accessing your server by name. You can also add port number. Don't use http://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx . If you are using IP number then you are not using DNS. There is no conversion going on only name resolution. I assume you have a public Domain name for your server.

Last edited:
well i finally fixed that
i had to install a dns server on a local machine
which translate the public ip of my server into the local ipaddress
i dont actually need the port
thanks