What's new

QNAP + Mac OS X Server -> Crashplan?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Curselayne

New Around Here
I have a TS-469L attached to a gigabit network with multiple users, and am looking for a solution to manage file storage and backup.

Right now, the QNAP itself handles authentication, and I know that there are some QNAP-provided options for cloud backup; however, I was wondering if I could set something up that's easier to administer and allow me to use Crashplan (QNAP doesn't have native support, and otherwise requires some Unix-Fu, which I sadly lack).

I was looking at a Mac OS X Mini with Server since Crashplan officially supports it, and was wondering how I could put all the pieces together.

Do I just mount the QNAP as a NFS store, let OS X Server manage access/authentication (consequently, do I turn some stuff off on the QNAP?), and install the Crashplan software on the Server, et voila?)

I've also heard of an option to have the QNAP somehow use the Open Directory server on the Mac for authentication, but I don't see how I'd be able to let Crashplan on the Mac handle backup if I were to go that route.

Suggestions?

Though I use a brand other than QNAP, on mine I do mount an SMB share from an old, old NAS I have. So my new NAS can read/write files/folders on the old one. Have to fight with permissions a bit.

For backup, you can use iSCSI I'd think. And I think QNAP and brand S both support full backups to Amazon S3.

But my cable modem upstream is just 1Mbps; too slow to do offsite backups. So I just use USB3 drives. Faster, cheaper, and I don't have to worry about privacy.