What's new

QNAP Technical Advisory Important QTS Update for Potential Data Corruption on NAS Using RAID 5/6

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

thiggins

Mr. Easy
Staff member
A RAID 5 and RAID 6 algorithm issue that was reported by IT expert Wayne Small has been resolved in QTS builds released after April 17, 2017. Silent data corruption might have occurred on NAS devices with affected QTS builds and RAID 5 or RAID 6 configurations. The latest QTS builds already address this issue and users can recover corrupted data by installing a recent build and then enabling RAID scrubbing. However, RAID scrubbing cannot recover corrupted data if the RAID is degraded.

Read the full advisory for more information.

Note - as long as the Raid set is running normally, one should be in good shape once firmware is updated, and the scrubbing is completed as per the tech note.

If one is in a degraded array - e.g. one failed disk in a 4 disk array - this is where the bug can bite - the hard thing is that not all data might get corrupted, but some might.

Scrubbing is going to recalculate all the parity data, so this can take a long time depending on size of the array and number of members of the Raid set.

Makes me feel a bit better that I chose to deploy my TS-453Pro as RAID10...