What's new

Qnap TS-253a vs Synology DS-216+

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

So if the plus model is not a good value you basicly say go with the qnap?

It seems in this case the plus version gives you Intel CPU so it's definitely good value unless the price goes up a lot. Historically the plus version has mainly given more memory so value might not have been as good.

I would not fully agree with the idea that a 2-disk NAS is a toy. It's the same thing with less disks, possibly less network sockets but how many of those will you actually use? Sure there are cases where a NAS with more disks is more appropriate (and I have a 4 disk at home right now) but the correct product really depends on what your use is.

I used to have a 2-disk NAS before, if I used RAID1 I could keep using the nas while one disk failed, however it was my home system and 24/7 uptime was not so important and I did not use raid at all, rather ensured I had proper backups to external disks, one of which was stored off site.

Now I have a 4 disk NAS with 3 disks in RAID 5 and one hot swap. If one disk failed the spare would automatically be taken into use and about 24 hours later I could survive losing another disk without even having to touch my backups. This is all fine, but at home I'm more worried about actually ensuring I will never lose my family pictures and neither of these will really make a huge difference in that regard.

If my NAS is broken I'll send it to be fixed and hope the drives still work when I get it back, but I can survive fine for days without it. If this was for a company then a broken device could mean several people not working or lost business and it would be a different case.

People have strong opinions but at the end of the day Qnap and Synology will both serve you well. I and my colleagues seem to have had less issues with Synology, but Qnap often offers more features which might be more important at home. Intel CPU's make quite a difference in NAS devices especially if you work with small files or have concurrent usage. Ensure you have sufficient disks for taking backups from the NAS of all important files.

If my NAS is broken I'll send it to be fixed and hope the drives still work when I get it back, but I can survive fine for days without it.

If you're within warranty, the hardware may be fixed to your satisfaction.

Nobody guarantees your data though. First thing they'll do? Wipe the drives and reinstall the NAS os to test the hardware with.

Buyer (and data collector) beware.

Nobody guarantees your data though. First thing they'll do? Wipe the drives and reinstall the NAS os to test the hardware with.

That's why one must include NAS in their backup plan ;)

No, QNAP has the same step-ups. These are the NASes where you pay 15% more for a CPU with the same pinout but it's a bit faster. Like Intel and AMD CPUs in PCs.

QNAP vs. Synology is a choice to make after doing a fair amount of your own homework, on-line trial of their Admin interfaces, look at their file versioning backup capabilities, etc. I and others here are a too small set of opinions.

QNAP vs. Synology is a choice to make after doing a fair amount of your own homework, on-line trial of their Admin interfaces, look at their file versioning backup capabilities, etc. I and others here are a too small set of opinions.

Both vendors have great pre-sales teams to ensure that what you buy fits your needs...

When I was shopping for a multiple bay NAS, both were strong on the feature side, QNAP won on a specific feature - that was several months ago, and no regrets - today, it might be Synology, that is how close these two OEM's are...

Buyer (and data collector) beware.

Thats why you take backups right? My device came without disks and if I sent it for repairs it would be without disks as well.

I was rambling about 2-disk devices being fine for home use, and actually they might even be easier to restore since you won't end up using raid 5 / 6 / 10.

My 2 bay uses two volumes, independent file systems. #1 backs up to #2 and only #1 has shares.
USB3 backup. 64GB SD card for VVIP folders. Cloud (Adrive.com due to low cost) for family photos and non-sensitive files, in addition to others. No RAID in small NAS.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!