What's new

QOS on 1gbps network speeds

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I ended up getting my self a AX11000 and Cm2000 to take advantage of my ISP 1200Mbps plan. I have those in hand now with merlin on the router and will do some testing, if I understood right the best way to test for bufferbloat is to run a speed test and then ping to the host computer using another device correct? should the computer pinging out to the host be connected on via lan for the most accurate results? I also ordered a dual lan card and ill do some testing to see if that changes anything with bufferbloat but I highly doubt it. I will probably do testing with flexqos as I want to still have hardware acceleration.
To answer your question: to test for buffer bloat you want to ping a server outside of your network (example: google.com) and measure the increase in latency when running a speed test (if the speed test maxes out your connection). I ping my ISPs DNS IP because it is very consistent in latency from my location.

fastest wifi device I have is still only 2x2 - speedtest off that is 550/450, but it's almost certain the limit is the device not QOS
I can't achieve that kind of speed on adaptive qos only (I'm on the official firmware, so no flexqos). Top download speed is about 400mbps. No issues in getting the limit on the upload. oh well. that's life. I'll keep QoS off for the time being and get a sense on the complaints!
Speedtest no QoS:

Speedtest with adaptive QoS (500/100 limit):

Does the official firmware allow/require you to enter upload/download speeds for adapative QoS? If my connection were 500/100 I might start by setting those at 490/90 and see if it works. With QoS you have to live with a slightly slower speed limit all the time. The tradeoff is that things flow smoothly all the time. If it's working properly there will never be a time when you get a spinning buffer icon on your TV because your kids are downloading a Steam game while Facetiming and listening to Youtube music.

Thenk you merlin. Using wifi ( I don’t use wired connections), aiprotection and traffic analyser I only get about 400mb. Disabling aiprotection and traffic analyser I get about 450, but that defeats the purpose for which I bought the Ac86u…

You need at least a 3x3 wireless-AC device to get more than ~490-500mbps (sustained throughput) on 802.11ac

Do you have a 3x3 device? I have 20+ devices in my home and only 2 have 3x3 antennas:

- a 2019 Macbook Pro with 4 Thunderbolt-3 ports (only those models have 3x3 MIMO antennas)
- An Asus PCE-AC68 pci-express card for my desktop PC

Everything else is 2x2. this includes a whack of IoT devices (Nest, Philips Hue, Lutron), phones (iPhone XS, Samsung S20), 7th gen iPads, Apple TVs, Fire TVs, Lenovo T-series thinkpads and Yogas, etc. etc. etc.

Yes, I have too many devices.

Last edited:
You need at least a 3x3 wireless-AC device to get more than ~490-500mbps (sustained throughput) on 802.11ac

Do you have a 3x3 device? I have 20+ devices in my home and only 2 have 3x3 antennas

Everything else is 2x2. this includes a whack of IoT devices (Nest, Philips Hue, Lutron) phones (iPhone XS, Samsung S20), 7th gen iPads, Apple TVs, Fire TVs, Lenovo T-series thinkpads and Yogas, etc. etc. etc.

We have a lot of phones, laptops, tablets, etc., and some are very new. The only device with more than 2x2 is my desktop with an Asus PCE-AC88 (4x4 AC). Even the latest iPad Pro and Surface Book Pro are still 2x2, but AX capable.

We have a lot of phones, laptops, tablets, etc., and some are very new. The only device with more than 2x2 is my desktop with an Asus PCE-AC88 (4x4 AC). Even the latest iPad Pro and Surface Book Pro are still 2x2, but AX capable.

ooooh 4x4, very nice :) Maybe i'll upgrade my AC68 to that one if it's ever on sale :) just for bragging rights...

It's overkill. I only have the one because this machine routinely sends hundreds of gigabytes to the NAS. It needs to be fast.

I can't achieve that kind of speed on adaptive qos only (I'm on the official firmware, so no flexqos). Top download speed is about 400mbps. No issues in getting the limit on the upload. oh well. that's life. I'll keep QoS off for the time being and get a sense on the complaints!
Speedtest no QoS:

Speedtest with adaptive QoS (500/100 limit):
Testing my WiFi devices I also lose 100-150 Mbps when enabling AQoS despite getting 800-950 on wired speed tests. My iPhone 11 can get up to 600 without AQoS, but is 450-500 with it on.

Testing my WiFi devices I also lose 100-150 Mbps when enabling AQoS despite getting 800-950 on wired speed tests. My iPhone 11 can get up to 600 without AQoS, but is 450-500 with it on.
What speed is set for the QoS?
2021-08-06 07_42_49-ASUS Wireless Router RT-AX86U - EZQoS Bandwidth Management — Mozilla Firefox.png

What speed is set for the QoS?
View attachment 35499
1140/39 as I get 1350+ down and 42 up without QoS. I get gigabit speeds, or close, on wired connections. I was just pointing out there does seem to be some extra slowdown on wifi connections when using Adaptive QoS. I have no problems with QoS working if I need it and am happy with 800+. Even the slower wifi speeds is fine as no wifi device we use needs that kind of bandwidth.

1140/39 as I get 1350+ down and 42 up without QoS. I get gigabit speeds, or close, on wired connections. I was just pointing out there does seem to be some extra slowdown on wifi connections when using Adaptive QoS. I have no problems with QoS working if I need it and am happy with 800+. Even the slower wifi speeds is fine as no wifi device we use needs that kind of bandwidth.

I am curious how you validated your connection maxxes out at 1350mbps down ... did you do multiple speed tests simultaneously using more than 1 Wired Gigabit Ethernet client?

And your cable modem is connected to your router via 2.5GbE ?

I am curious how you validated your connection maxxes out at 1350mbps down ... did you do multiple speed tests simultaneously using more than 1 Wired Gigabit Ethernet client?

Using my gateway as a router. It could get upwards of 1450 when using Comcast’s equipment. If I run 2 Speedtest on different devices at the same time with all ASUS/Trend Features off I get similar numbers. But I ran the Comcast gateway for a couple months and consistently got at least 1350. Also testing on the router itself with all Trend features turned off also yields 1350+.

1628282760985.png

Oh and to answer the second question, yes the gateway’s 2.5GbE port is connected to the AX86U’s 2.5 port.

I would be interested in doing something similar, but it would only be for "academic" purposes so better for me to wait until such devices are a bit cheaper :)

I would be interested in doing something similar, but it would only be for "academic" purposes so better for me to wait until such devices are a bit cheaper :)
The things I’ve learned and never could have known about gigabit+:
AiProtection limits speeds on wired to about 1 Gps and 650ish Mbps on WiFi.
Adding QoS to this slows things down a little bit more, but not too much.

I am in the same boat. We never saturate even the QoS limited download, but when working multiple people in our house can saturate the upload. It’s only disappointing when I run a speed test.
Even a download only situation creates a lot of ack packets going back up the upload, and on way asymmetric links like are popular on Cable... it's easy to load it down.

Run SQM on the uplink only, if your router dosen't have a lot of CPU. That helps quite a lot. I used to have a TP-Link C7, which when running OpenWrt and using Cake SQM, and thru the wifi, it really could only give me 120-140mb down on my 300/30mbit cable connection before it ran out of CPU. But, it could do just the 30mb upload without a sweat, and that helped even the download improve quite a lot. I ran that way for quite a while before upgrading. There is an "ack-filter" feature that gets rid of much of the ack burden, which also helps. Now, have 940/35mbit, and use a tiny PC box (Zotac C327) for the routing duties, with former wif routers as AP's. That has no CPU issues... A Pi4 also has more than enough HP to route GB with SQM, on OpenWrt, as it turns out, thats a cheap way to go...