What's new

QOS opinions needed please - Traditional vs Adaptive w/ FlexQOS

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

tmcb82

Regular Contributor
So, currently I use FlexQOS to manage my traffic. Sometimes it feels like a bit of overkill for my purpose. My needs are pretty basic, I just need to have my work computer be the highest priority, then my Fire Sticks (for YouTube TV) be the next highest priority, then everything else beyond that last. My FlexQOS setup has Streaming prioritized highest and I have all 4 MACs (work computer and 3 Fire Sticks) shift all traffic to streaming. I have had to add exceptions for things like WiFi Calling and what not to other categories. It works decently but feels a bit clunky and I get a hiccup from time to time. I use FlexQOS because I remember there be posts about Traditional QOS being broken, is this still the case? and, if not, would it be better for me to use Traditional QOS since I can route specifically by MAC and be done without needing to make exceptions and worry about categories?

I use a RT-AC68P (the dual 1.4Ghz version) on a 200/10 Mbps internet connection.

I would love any opinions and advice. Thank you in advance!

What firmware version are you running? For how long? When was the last time you did a full reset to factory defaults?

What USB drive are you using? What additional scripts and features (i.e. AiProtection, etc.) are running on the router?

Any other pertinent points that should be known about the setup, use, and expectations of the network?

What firmware version are you running? For how long? When was the last time you did a full reset to factory defaults?

What USB drive are you using? What additional scripts and features (i.e. AiProtection, etc.) are running on the router?

Any other pertinent points that should be known about the setup, use, and expectations of the network?
Responding by firing all these counter-questions is counterproductive, and in this case inappropriate. The writer’s not questioning his firmware installation or functioning, he’s asking about the efficacy of QOS in his circumstances, and the value of an enhanced QOS like FlexQOS. Frankly, a perusal of the QOS discussions on SNBForums leaves one without answers and a very murky understanding of whether QOS can help one, or whether QOS is for the most part an outdated technology considering modern internet connections.

Not every question is about how many times did you reset your router to defaults between upgrades. Most people here have no problem with their firmwares that are not situation-specific (AIMesh being something of an outlier). Still, those with working routers have questions about router performance features and their uses.

384.19, My last full reset was when I went to 384.19 within a few days of release. I'm using the USB 2.0 drive for Entware and the only script I'm running is FlexQOS. AiProtection is on except for Malicious Sites Blocking. Other than my work computer/phone (all hard-wire routed though an Aruba AP for VPN) and 3 Fire Sticks (for YouTube TV and other video) I have about 18 IoT devices (cameras, sensors, thermostat, echos, etc.), 2 phones and personal laptop connected. I'm not using a NAS or any shares that would cause any local network traffic (in fact, all that stuff is turned off to reduce router memory usage).

My main goal is simply to make sure my work equipment is always running at peak priority, then the Fire Sticks (to prevent buffering of live tv with YouTube TV), and all the other things can have the rest of the bandwidth (no priority required on any of these).

@AntonK I must respectfully disagree with you (about asking questions).

Nothing exists in a vacuum. All the questions were pertinent, too.

Knowing the firmware version and if/when a reset was done helps cut down on wild goose chases too.

Even now, I still don't know how to respond further with 'works decently but feels a bit clunky and I get a hiccup from time to time'.

I don't get that with the networks I set up. But I also don't customize FlexQoS too much either (I choose Web Surfing as the 'customization' and everything just works).

By “clunky” I meant the fact that I have to set categories for traffic when I don’t really care about what kind of data it is but more about what device its routing to (specifically my high priority devices mentioned).

Also, the other big part to my original question is if Traditional QOS works correctly on the AC68 with the new firmware as RMerlin has stated that Traditional QOS has been broken in the past and I don’t know if it’s “fixed.”

I think if you read the FlexQoS threads again, you'll find what you need.

What would a working Traditional QoS give you that FlexQoS doesn't? I don't know if it works in the latest version (still a work in progress in Beta 4 for the RT-AX86U).

I've rarely used Traditional QoS, but I think it's safe to say it was fixed in 2018 after some in-depth analysis by @cdufour. See the thread below to see if it instills confidence.

I wouldn't use FlexQoS for device prioritization, since it's designed around the Trend Micro DPI engine to prioritize applications instead of devices. Traditional QoS and the Device Priority mapping on the Bandwidth Monitor page might be best suited to your needs. But you'll also want to test that your router can support your ISP bandwidth without becoming CPU-bound (since HW Acceleration will be disabled with T.QoS). It probably will, but monitor your CPU util with top while running a speedtest.

By “clunky” I meant the fact that I have to set categories for traffic when I don’t really care about what kind of data it is but more about what device its routing to (specifically my high priority devices mentioned).

Also, the other big part to my original question is if Traditional QOS works correctly on the AC68 with the new firmware as RMerlin has stated that Traditional QOS has been broken in the past and I don’t know if it’s “fixed.”
With flexqos, you can make a device always be a category. For instance, Anything my nvidia shield does is considered streaming (my highest priority), anything my sons ps4 does (even if hes watching netflix on it, i set him at the bottom of the list) is considered gaming.
Anything I dont specifically set like that drops back to normal adaptive qos. To me its a perfect, kind of a hybrid adaptive/traditional setup. And it works, i spend way to much time watching the router.