What's new

QoS

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

macster2075

Very Senior Member
Hi
How do I set Banwidth Limiter to control all devices at once?

I know I can set each device individually, but I can’t find a way to limit all at once.

I am not referring to allocating the speed by gaming, browsing, etc...

I would like to set the following..
Max download speed 22 Mbps
Max upload speed 1.5 Mbps

No matter what’s happening whether is gaming or browsing...I would like the router to limit the bandwidth based on those numbers.

I have tried to set those speeds but it wont work...after I do a speedtest, I am getting faster speeds than I entered.

Also, can I control the bandwidth on the guest network separately?

If it were me I would try turning on adaptive QOS and then entering those values as my connection speed.

If it were me I would try turning on adaptive QOS and then entering those values as my connection speed.
I've tried Adaptive, Traditional and it doesn't seem to do anything..

when I run a speed test, it does not represent the values I entered in the qos section.

Right here where I have 48?

V8y47Lh.png

Maybe a dumb question but that's how I learn. Why would you want to limit your download speed. I'm stuck with satellite internet and I'm looking to increase mine.

Maybe a dumb question but that's how I learn. Why would you want to limit your download speed. I'm stuck with satellite internet and I'm looking to increase mine.
Not a dumb question at all. I get your point.. but to explain my point better... the option to limit the bandwidth is for the guest network... that way when someone that's not family comes over they will be limited to a certain amount of bandwidth to prevent them from hogging it.

The other point is, when you limit the bandwidth, it helps distribute the speed among the devices connected preventing slow downs for any devices connected to the network.

Thanks, I guess because it's just the wife and I there's no one here to hog the bandwidth and I rarely set up a guest network I forget about others who have kids and friends trying to get online at the same time. The internet service I have has an 18gb data cap. After that there is no streaming or game playing. That's just the price for living out in the sticks.

Thanks, I guess because it's just the wife and I there's no one here to hog the bandwidth and I rarely set up a guest network I forget about others who have kids and friends trying to get online at the same time. The internet service I have has an 18gb data cap. After that there is no streaming or game playing. That's just the price for living out in the sticks.
haha.. I get it.. I live in the boonies too, but I am lucky to have at least 25Mbps download speed.

haha.. I get it.. I live in the boonies too, but I am lucky to have at least 25Mbps download speed.
My plan is a 25mb download until you hit the data cap. In the middle of the night I have gone as high as 50mb. But during prime time I'm lucky to see 8 to 10mb. But the good news is our electric service provider is running fiber optic service to all there customers. They started last summer running over 5000 miles of cable. The bad news is they won't be in my area until 2020 or 2021. But there is light at the end of the tunnel.

The other point is, when you limit the bandwidth, it helps distribute the speed among the devices connected preventing slow downs for any devices connected to the network.

Adaptive QOS does that without having to limit your speed.

QoS is an art form I still struggle to understand. It's about giving priority to the stuff that's most important to you, or giving priority to interactive stuff (e.g., browsing, gaming) and low priority to bandwidth hogs (e.g., bit torrent, large transfers of data).

So first it's about understanding what your problem is or "who" your problem is.

Sometimes bandwidth limiters are enough. They are set below your actual speeds so you have a little room for those emergency packets.

QoS coupled with bandwidth limiters is better.

Like you're downloading something huge. Someone else is uploading something huge. Well that should work fine but the download is slow? Even though it's a download you still have to send some packets up saying "give me more". But if the upload is saturating the uplink then you can't get those "send me more" packets out in a timely fashion. Between prioritization and bandwidth limiters you can now get those "feed me" packets out in a timely fashion thus speeding up your download.

I might not have said all that quite right but I ran home on 7 Mbps and work (15 users, 25 devices) on 15 Mbps for years. And it was miserable until I bought an Asus, analyzed the traffic (traffic monitor) and set QoS and bandwidth limiters based on what I learned. Then things started working great.

(We've since upgraded to 100 Mbps so, at this point in time, I'm not using either right now but it's in my back pocket for if/when I need it. Seems ironic, for slow speeds you apply a bandwidth limiter but for high speeds you don't always need to.)​

Now let's talk about those rowdy guests of yours - what in the blue suzy are they doing? You could password protect your guest SSIDs so you can control who uses your guest.

And here' a long shot. Password protect "guest" and attach a wireless range extender to it. Then your guests attach to the range extender. I believe the range extender presents a single MAC to the router such that all your guests would be on the same MAC. If I'm right then you would only need to define one MAC on the client list of bandwidth limiters you talked about under QoS earlier. (Would need to place it far enough from the router so signals don't conflict.)

Like I say, it's just an idea, I'm too lazy to research it : -)

Last edited:
Fq-codel is the best option to use, also I recommend that you install fresher QoS script if you haven't already.

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/r...ements-custom-rules-and-inner-workings.36836/

macster2075,

The best explanation I've found so far for QoS is in the link above. :)

Installing the FreshJR Adaptive QOS and even leaving it at defaults is an improvement I see immediately. Even with 300/300Mbps ISP minimum speeds.

Asus has mangled the defaults for QoS (any version of it), FreshJR brings them into not just a useable state, but makes his script indispensable, too.

QoS is an art form I still struggle to understand.

It's not that bad. All you basically want is fair bandwidth allocation.

So you can sanely

1) allocate your bandwidth to be equal/fair per device requesting it

2) allocate your bandwidth in proportions of total available per traffic type

--OR--

3) split your bandwidth so one device or traffic type gets all the bandwidth and everything else chokes ;) **cough cough**

4) don't split your traffic (no QoS) and have devices fight for it

It's not that bad. All you basically want is fair bandwidth allocation.
So you can sanely
1) allocate your bandwidth to be equal/fair per device requesting it
2) allocate your bandwidth in proportions of total available per traffic type​
--OR--
3) split your bandwidth so one device or traffic type gets all the bandwidth and everything else chokes ;) **cough cough**
4) don't split your traffic (no QoS) and have devices fight for it​
Thank you!

I came from Tomato.. so, they also have Qos and Bandwidth Limiter.. I've always preferred using BLimiter over QoS.. it's much easier and simpler for me.
I tend to set the limits about 10% less of what my actual speeds are and the Limiter has pretty much always worked so much better for me than QoS,

EDIT
I guess here in Merlin.."Traditional QoS" would be the same as the Bandwidth Limiter I am used to from Tomato. - I know there is a setting for Bandwidth Limiter, but I see I have to set each device individually... I prefer to limit all at once, which is the reason I selected Traditional QoS

Last edited:
Right.. sbsng mentioned about the post I had created...but I also see that the bandwidth limiter option does not give you the option to limit all at once..instead I have to select which devices I want to limit..one at a time. I guess I am used to Tomato where it lets you limit everyone at once without setting a specific network usage... that's why I said I guess in Merlin it's called Traditional Qos.