What's new

Question about drive sizes on Intel SS4200-e

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

gospeed.racer

New Around Here
I SWEAR I have been reading and searching...I simply cannot find the answer. :confused:

I have a SS4200-e coming, and a pair of 1TB Hitachi drives. I also currently own a pair of 1.5TB Samsung drives. I was planning on installing all 4, hoping that I would be "seeing" 2.5tb mirrored (well, less than that because of the file system, but you get where I am coming from) but it sounds like everyone uses 4 of the exact same drives most of the time. Do I need all 4 capacities to be the same?

Thank you in advance for your time!

Depends on the capabilities of the device, which I could not find definitive info on.

You would be able to use 2.5 TB in the following configurations:
JBOD (1.5 + 1), which is then mirrored,
two mirrored arrays of 1 and 1.5 TB each.

RAID 0+1 configuration will limit you to the size of the smallest drive, so 2 TB total.

Depends on the capabilities of the device, which I could not find definitive info on.

You would be able to use 2.5 TB in the following configurations:
JBOD (1.5 + 1), which is then mirrored,
two mirrored arrays of 1 and 1.5 TB each.

RAID 0+1 configuration will limit you to the size of the smallest drive, so 2 TB total.

Thank you for the reply, thats what I was looking for...just didnt know the term....JBOD....so I searched that and it doesnt sound like it will allow that, only raid. So, now the question is....is this a software thing? Because OS's can be replaced:) So long as it is not a hardware limitation...

Last edited:
JBOD can done without hardware support but it'd be a mess. I don't think you can span a boot drive in windows, but whatever OS you use would have to be able to JBOD two arrays or handle it all via software.

well, that makes it easier for me i guess:) I will just use the 2x1.5tb's I have and sell off the 1tb's. Maybe purchase more of the 1.5tb's later on.

Again, thank you very much for your answers. I cant wait to get this up and running.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!