What's new

question about DSL and wireless router

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

loki993

Occasional Visitor
ok we just moved. we had cable internet and everything worked fine. here cable is not available. ive never has DSL before. the speed is supposedly the same as the cable we had, but it seems slower. also im having an issue with the laptop, its extremely slow on the network, running either wired or wireless, dosnt matter. I though the desktop was ok, but it also seems slower on the network, but not nearly as slow at the laptop.

I have the modem set up in bridged mode and the router is handling the DSL authentication and dhcp. I can just tell things are not running right. Ive been in contact with the att support and all they can say is that its the laptop. well the laptop has worked find on multiple different networks and it has no problems.

im starting to wonder if its the router. its a netgear wrg614 v4. either that or theres something in the routers configuration that I missed.

what do you guys think??

if its the router whats a good router. id like it to be fast and stable for wireless. it will be running the desktop and ps3 wired. the laptop will be wireless. any wireless will be g so no need for anything n, unless the router is faster in g mode than a g only router.

just a little update. I have the wireless shut off and an running wired to the router from the desktop. I am now experiencing the same timedout connections to websites and overall slow browsing I was on the laptop. there has to be a configuration issue with the router, or its the router itself, I did not have this issue with the router when we had cable. any ideas?

Make sure that the router has the proper gateway and DNS settings. Same for the laptop.

think I may have gotten this figured out. I did a little searching, becasue I knew there was something I should have done. I found something that said to change the routers ip so it was on a different subnet. I did that restarted the router and the computer. everything seems to be running fine and fast now.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!