What's new

Question about local hostname resolving

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

koei

New Around Here
I just recently got a WNDR3700 router and this is the first I've noticed having the problem out of all my previous routers I've used. I cannot seem to resolve hostname of devices that are connected to my router with DHCP assigned LAN addresses.

Of all the previous routers I've had, I am able to access the hostname alias across all the devices after connected to the router but for some reason after I upgraded to 3700 it doesn't resolve anymore.

For instance, my desktop is called "main", and I try to ping it on my Ubuntu server it doesn't come up with that hostname, however I can ping the IP just fine. Vice versa, until I setup a Samba server on my ubuntu box, I was not able to access the hostname "fileserv" from my desktop which should've been pointing to the Ubuntu box. After Samba was installed, with netbios and workgroup defined, it resolved but I don't think that was with any help from my router. However, from my smartphone, I am still unable to access "fileserv".

I probably have a limited understanding of this, but isn't the DHCP server on my router be providing the DNS information to all my locally connected devices when I try to resolve a hostname within the LAN?

PS: I am not sure if this is worth noting, but I have my Motorola modem (WIFI Router + Modem) set in Gateway mode which in theory should be invisible and act as a modem only. DHCP on it is also disabled.

The names of your computers are not handled by DNS. That is for public network (Internet) host names only.