What's new

Question about Trend Micro Signature "update failed"

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Check_Security() is run every hour during the save process along with startup/firewall restarts, if someone misses 24 warnings per day for a prolonged period of time I think they have bigger issues :p
For this particular IOC, I think it would be helpful to set it back to three-zero and trigger /usr/sbin/sig_update.sh. That way if they miss the notice, they will still get signature updates, firmware update notices, etc.
these people disable secure mode and enable wan access. i think they'll miss syslog tbh.
Lead a horse to water...

For this particular IOC, I think it would be helpful to set it back to three-zero and trigger /usr/sbin/sig_update.sh. That way if they miss the notice, they will still get signature updates, firmware update notices, etc.

That was my first thought, but I don't think a signature update would remove other backdoors etc and it would be better off alerting the user until they initiate a factory restore. The last major malware strain for instance enabled the PPTP server with a generic user/pass combination for persistent access.

@dave14305, what is 'IOC'?

Indicator of compromise

That was my first thought, but I don't think a signature update would remove other backdoors etc and it would be better off alerting the user until they initiate a factory restore. The last major malware strain for instance enabled the PPTP server with a generic user/pass combination for persistent access.
Maybe you can write a special alert div to the top of the Skynet Stats page when such items are found?

Hi when i run "sh -x /usr/sbin/sig_update.sh" i get this

Code:
+ wget_options=-q -t 2 -T 30 --no-check-certificate
+ nvram set sig_state_update=0
+ nvram set sig_state_flag=0
+ nvram set sig_state_error=0
+ + grep -i nt_center
nvram get rc_support
+ IS_SUPPORT_NOTIFICATION_CENTER=
+ [  !=  ]
+ nvram get bwdpi_sig_ver
+ current_sig_ver=2.066
+ echo+ sed s/\.//g
+ current_sig_ver=2066
+ nvram get sig_type
+ sig_type=FULL
+ [ FULL ==  ]
+ nvram get apps_sq
+ forsq=
+ [ -z  ]
+ forsq=0
+ nvram get territory_code
+ tcode=WE/02
+ [ WE/02 ==  ]
+ territory_type=WE/02_FULL
+ echo ---- sig update start: ----
+ [ 0 == 1 ]
+ echo ---- sig update real normal----
+ wget -q -t 2 -T 30 --no-check-certificate https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/
LiveUpdate/Release/Wireless/sig2nd_update.zip -O /tmp/sig_update.txt
+ dlinfo=0
+ echo ---- sig wget exit : 0 ----
+ [ 0 != 0 ]
+ echo Download sig info OK
+ + sed s/.*#//
grep WE/02_FULL /tmp/sig_update.txt
+ sig_ver=
+ [  ==  ]
+ WW_type=WW_FULL
+ grep+ sed s/.*#//
 WW_FULL /tmp/sig_update.txt
+ sig_ver=2.182
+ nvram set SKU=WW_FULL
+ nvram get SKU
+ echo WW_FULL
+ echo 2.182
+ + sed s/\.//g
echo 2.182
+ sig_ver=2182
+ nvram set sig_state_info=2182
+ rm -f /tmp/sig_update.txt
+ nvram get sig_state_info
+ update_sig_state_info=2182
+ nvram get sig_last_info
+ last_sig_state_info=
+ echo ---- current sig : 2066 ----
+ echo ---- latest sig : 2182 ----
+ [ 2182 ==  ]
+ [ 2066 -lt 2182 ]
+ echo ---- < sig_ver, Do upgrade ----
+ nvram set sig_state_flag=1
+ [  !=  ]
+ echo ---- sig update end ----
+ nvram set sig_state_update=1

but if i run "nvram get apps_wget_timeout" i get timeout 30 after reset and clear jffs.

Code:
AC86U:/tmp/home/root# nvram get apps_wget_timeout

is this normal ?
Thanks

Last edited:
What's your current Trend Micro: Signature version? It can be found in Administration - Firmware Upgrade (Merlin GUI).

Mine is: 2.212 Updated : 2020/06/29 16:45

No update available since last summer? I remember that with some router fw versions the date didn't always update/refresh itself (it was a bit buggy?) even though the actual Signature version eventually did update automatically and manually as well.

Last edited:
What's your current Trend Micro: Signature version? It can be found in Administration - Firmware Upgrade (Merlin GUI).

Mine is: 2.212 Updated : 2020/06/29 16:45

No update available since last summer? I remember the with some router fw versions the date didn't always update/refresh itself (it was a bit buggy?) even though the actual Signature version eventually did update automatically and manually as well.
1612199055436.png

Thanks, Dave!

I asked the same question in another thread (sorry for kinda crossposting... :oops:) and the v 2.212 was confirmed there too.

Anyway, with my router I cannot trust the actual date because it wont't always update/refresh itself. This has been going on for ages with my router and with several firmware versions (Merlin). The version matters for me, not the date (it may be somehow stuck).

2.212 was released only a few weeks ago.

Anyway, with my router I cannot trust the actual date because it wont't always update/refresh itself. This has been going on for ages with my router and with several firmware versions (Merlin). The version matters for me, not the date (it may be somehow stuck).

Just noticed that now with Merlin fw 386.1 my Trend Micro: Signature version seems to get updated nicely. In addition to the Signature version, also the date is up to date. And Signature version is now 2.216.

2.216 Updated : 2021/02/05 15:27

Im Signature update failed when I click the check button on the Trend Micro: Signature version section. Any ideas on how to fix this error. Thanks

1640766752214.png