What's new

[Question] /jffs/.sys/nc/nt_center.db?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

SomeWhereOverTheRainBow

Part of the Furniture
what is the purpose of nt_center.db
it has my jffs close to full

My real question is, is it safe to delete this?

Code:
182956  /jffs/.sys/nc/nt_center.db

Code:
178.7M  /jffs/.sys/nc/nt_center.db

Last edited:
Probably a bad idea to delete, it contains info about devices. It likely is related to the Network map.
If you have customized anything in there, it'll be lost.

Probably a bad idea to delete, it contains info about devices. It likely is related to the Network map.
If you have customized anything in there, it'll be lost.
All my customization are through scripts, and not the unreliable and unforgiving network map :eek::eek: besides i would have had to do something any ways because it was consuming all of jffs.

It's Asus Notification Center. I never understood why they half-implemented this, without implementing the final part where you could view its content through the webui. Feel free to delete.

Found this thread, going to also to delete /jffs/.sys/nc/nt_center.db on both nodes as part of factory reset clean up and see what happens.

I'm glad I found this thread! The local network in my home now works as it should :D

My setup
  • DSL modem: ASUS DSL-AC55U
  • Mesh routers: 2x ASUS RT-AC59U V2 - turned out that Wi-Fi on the DSL modem didn't reach far enough due to placement of the wall socket in one far corner of the apartment, the number of walls, and mirrored wardrobes in the apartment so had to get two mesh routers!
Summary (TL;DR)
The main RT-AC59U V2 was at 100% CPU all the time. After I ssh'd to router.asus.com and ran top, I could see that nt_center was trying to take 100%, although some other processes were able to grab around 4% so nt_center was sitting at around 96%. I deleted the /jffs/.sys/nc/nt_center.db file, rebooted the router and all has been well since. The web interface continues to show information from the devices so the appropriate icons are shown: lights, laptops, Linux penguin, cameras, printer, etc. The device names are also shown correctly. No more connection drop-outs and Apple HomeKit doesn't have devices randomly not responding.

More detailed info
What problems was I experiencing?
Due to 100% CPU usage on the main router, the main problems I was experiencing were:
  • Connection drops:
    • LIFX lights would not stay connected
    • Apple Siri would try to send information to my iPhone but would give up saying it couldn't find it
    • BroadLink infrared blaster would sometimes work, sometimes not
  • Router logon page ( ) wouldn't load and browser would eventually give up
  • Router couldn't accept an SSH connection because the router was too busy
What did I try?
Without the ability to logon to the router via the web interface or ssh, I tried many things, such as rebooting the router, resetting the router, disconnecting the second router from the mesh network and setting it up again. Nothing worked.

How did I get ssh to work?
After rebooting the main router, I had to connect to it via ssh immediately upon it rebooting. If I waited up to 30 seconds after it had booted, the router wouldn't respond via the browser or ssh since it was already running at 100% CPU. So I made sure I knew its IP address, which I fixed via the DSL modem/router, and then power cycled it and kept trying to connect to it while it was starting up until it let me in.

How to ssh to the ASUS router?
Command below with default username of admin:
ssh -vvv admin@router.asus.com

What did I when I could login via ssh?
After logging in, I issued the top command, saw that nt_center was taking at least 96% CPU. I quit out of top by pushing the q key and typed kill -SIG 1 476 (-SIG 1 = TERMinate and 476 is the process ID so you would need to change this to whatever process ID you have). As soon as the process was killed, it restarted with a new and different process ID and took 96% of the CPU again. Killing only the process will not help so I needed a different solution.

Solution
That's when I found this thread and realised I needed to delete the /jffs/.sys/nc/nt_center.db file. I was hesitant because it was such a big file but bit the bullet and now it's done. The CPU now hovers between 4% and 26% when being watched and the web interface shows the same, which is expected. The nt_center process now runs between 2% and 4% CPU, which is muuuuuuch better. All devices remain connected, LIFX has no problems, Apple HomeKit has no problems and connections on the LAN between devices is immediate.

@John Fitzgerald

Remember our conversation here in the alpha thread?

This page was my personal insight for my information....

I'm glad I found this thread! The local network in my home now works as it should :D

My setup
  • DSL modem: ASUS DSL-AC55U
  • Mesh routers: 2x ASUS RT-AC59U V2 - turned out that Wi-Fi on the DSL modem didn't reach far enough due to placement of the wall socket in one far corner of the apartment, the number of walls, and mirrored wardrobes in the apartment so had to get two mesh routers!
Summary (TL;DR)
The main RT-AC59U V2 was at 100% CPU all the time. After I ssh'd to router.asus.com and ran top, I could see that nt_center was trying to take 100%, although some other processes were able to grab around 4% so nt_center was sitting at around 96%. I deleted the /jffs/.sys/nc/nt_center.db file, rebooted the router and all has been well since. The web interface continues to show information from the devices so the appropriate icons are shown: lights, laptops, Linux penguin, cameras, printer, etc. The device names are also shown correctly. No more connection drop-outs and Apple HomeKit doesn't have devices randomly not responding.

More detailed info
What problems was I experiencing?
Due to 100% CPU usage on the main router, the main problems I was experiencing were:
  • Connection drops:
    • LIFX lights would not stay connected
    • Apple Siri would try to send information to my iPhone but would give up saying it couldn't find it
    • BroadLink infrared blaster would sometimes work, sometimes not
  • Router logon page ( ) wouldn't load and browser would eventually give up
  • Router couldn't accept an SSH connection because the router was too busy
What did I try?
Without the ability to logon to the router via the web interface or ssh, I tried many things, such as rebooting the router, resetting the router, disconnecting the second router from the mesh network and setting it up again. Nothing worked.

How did I get ssh to work?
After rebooting the main router, I had to connect to it via ssh immediately upon it rebooting. If I waited up to 30 seconds after it had booted, the router wouldn't respond via the browser or ssh since it was already running at 100% CPU. So I made sure I knew its IP address, which I fixed via the DSL modem/router, and then power cycled it and kept trying to connect to it while it was starting up until it let me in.

How to ssh to the ASUS router?
Command below with default username of admin:
ssh -vvv admin@router.asus.com

What did I when I could login via ssh?
After logging in, I issued the top command, saw that nt_center was taking at least 96% CPU. I quit out of top by pushing the q key and typed kill -SIG 1 476 (-SIG 1 = TERMinate and 476 is the process ID so you would need to change this to whatever process ID you have). As soon as the process was killed, it restarted with a new and different process ID and took 96% of the CPU again. Killing only the process will not help so I needed a different solution.

Solution
That's when I found this thread and realised I needed to delete the /jffs/.sys/nc/nt_center.db file. I was hesitant because it was such a big file but bit the bullet and now it's done. The CPU now hovers between 4% and 26% when being watched and the web interface shows the same, which is expected. The nt_center process now runs between 2% and 4% CPU, which is muuuuuuch better. All devices remain connected, LIFX has no problems, Apple HomeKit has no problems and connections on the LAN between devices is immediate.
I still remember my terrors when this happen...