What's new

Question - Manual Firmware Update

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

FourthandShort

New Around Here
I am currently running a GT-AX6000 and purchased a RP-AX58. I set it up and added it to my AiMesh Node this morning. In doing so I downloaded the newest firmware for the repeater.

I am logging in to the main AX6000 and when going to the firmware page to update the node, when I click on the Manual Firmware Update - upload link, it opens the login page for the repeater. (its an internal ip address on the network assigned to the repeater). I have tried using the main router login details, as well as the admin/admin standard login and the page sits there loading.

I reached out to Asus support and they said when you click on the mesh node update firmware upload button, it should open MS Explorer to find the firmware file, but its not. Its loading the page to login to the repeater.

I had been using an old AC86U which was dying and when trying to update the firmware on that device it does the exact same thing.

Is this by design? I was curious if the standard Asus firmware (not merlins) would let me update the firmware from the main router without needing to log in to the repeater or if when updating the firmware, the login is a required step.

Any help would be appreciated.

Sounds like you are doing the right procedure. You should get a log in pop up as shown below. If not check the browser pop-up-blocker.
Asus Pop Up.jpg

Then you should get a file upload screen to choose the firmware file.
Asus Pop Up2.jpg

The same as main router.
Its so confusing, I have tried using the login credentials to the main router and I get an "Invalid Username or Password" error. I then tried the "admin" "admin" default and its giving me the same error. I had the same problem with the AC86U last night. I ended up resetting the 86U to default settings and was able to update the firmware once I did that. However if I then set it up as an AIMesh node, it never allowed me to login to the webgui again. The repeater is doing the exact same thing.

Ah, did you add the RP-AX58 as an AiMesh node? If not, reset it, add as an AiMesh node and try again.

Ah, did you add the RP-AX58 as an AiMesh node? If not, reset it, add as an AiMesh node and try again.
Yes it’s added as a Aimesh node. Same thing happened to my AC86u. Added it as an AiMesh node. Could never log into the device. Only option I had was to reset to factory and then upgrade firmware. Then re add to AiMesh network.

To confirm, I am supposed to log into my main router, go to firmware upgrade, select the AiMesh Node, and hit manual upload.

When the login screen comes up, I enter my Primary Router login credentials. Is that correct?

To confirm, I am supposed to log into my main router, go to firmware upgrade, select the AiMesh Node, and hit manual upload.

When the login screen comes up, I enter my Primary Router login credentials. Is that correct?
Yes