What's new

Question on 5ghz channels

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

bodean

Very Senior Member
All things being equal (no interference on any of the channels), if I have 2 Access Points (Unifi) I know that both should be on a different 5ghz channel. My question is, should 1 be on the Channels 36, 40, 44, and 48 range and 1 be on the 149, 153, 157, 161, and 165 range? Or does it not matter.

Does it make a difference if I run VHT160, VHT80, or VHT40? I guess the goal is for channels NOT to overlap so i can go between AP's with devices easily.

Based on my own struggles recently, I'd stick within the 36-48 range, as those are the standard consumer device channels, whereas higher channels require connecting devices to have more protections in place.

That is, unless the only devices you're connecting meet those requirements. Then go ahead and jump into the higher ranges. Just remember that you could potentially interfere with medical devices and whatnot if you're not careful.

Unless you know you have clients that can take advantage to it, rarely is there much need for VHT160....what UniFi model are you using? Mine only support up to VHT80. I have three APs across my house with the 5GHz channels being 36, 52, and 100. I researched what the local weather radar frequencies were to avoid those and so far the majority of my modern devices all have no issues with using DFS channels. If it matters, I am in the Central US.

When using VHT80, only a single AP can be on those lower channels which equals 36-48 for a single AP. I "could" move one of my DFS ones to the upper band, but the neighbors WiFi seem to be quite chatty in those bands.

Unless you know you have clients that can take advantage to it, rarely is there much need for VHT160....what UniFi model are you using? Mine only support up to VHT80. I have three APs across my house with the 5GHz channels being 36, 52, and 100. I researched what the local weather radar frequencies were to avoid those and so far the majority of my modern devices all have no issues with using DFS channels. If it matters, I am in the Central US.

When using VHT80, only a single AP can be on those lower channels which equals 36-48 for a single AP. I "could" move one of my DFS ones to the upper band, but the neighbors WiFi seem to be quite chatty in those bands.

Have 2 nanoHD's in my house. Currently using 36 and 149 for the 5GHZ channels. Switched from VHT80 to VHT40 recently also due to better stability with VHT40

Having this separation would be the best, as long as you have devices that support the higher channels. Not many devices I have had issues with (and I have experience with a lot of devices...), but some quite old and a couple of Asus WiFi PCIe-cards (PCE-AC66 or PCE-AC68 - but there is a driver hack that might work, as the Broadcom-chip and general hardware itself support the high channels, but drivers limit the use - at least in EU - not that they should have this limitation in the EU).

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!