What's new

Questions about AiMesh

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

hyelton

I'm thinking of getting another ASUS router of somesort to setup AiMesh with my current router. I've been using the GT-AC5300 for over a year now just as a router with WiFi disabled (using 2 Unifi AP's for wireless) I'm about fed up with random disconnects and issues with my AC Pro & NanoHD. Turned on the WiFi on my GT-AC5300 and the WiFi is so much faster and seems more stable even though the router sits under a desk and the Unifi AP's are on the ceiling...

I do need a 2nd AP downstairs and was thinking of maybe trying AiMesh a try.

With AiMesh since my router is "tri-band" Can 1 of the 5Ghz networks be dedicated to the mesh node? or does it just use whatever?

Also can the AiMesh be wired and still be in the mesh mode? So that WiFi clients can be seen on the main router? (I know it would have AP mode) but would just be a lot more simple to have everything in one place if AiMesh can be used Wired.

Also can 2.4GHz be disabled on my main router but enabled on the mesh one?

Thanks!

Yes, AiMesh with wired nodes are the recommended setup if you want to exploit your ISP's speed for all of your devices, on-demand.

You can't disable a band on the main, but have it enabled on the node.

If your 2nd router is also 'tri-radio' (sigh, it's not 'tri-band' to me), then yes, it should work with the top band for backhaul. Wired is still superior though.

I would recommend you flash to the latest 386.xxx firmware code base available for your router and do the same for the second router you buy too.

Flashing to the 386.xxx base will give you AiMesh v2.0 which is multiple times superior to AiMesh v1.0.

Yes, AiMesh with wired nodes are the recommended setup if you want to exploit your ISP's speed for all of your devices, on-demand.

If your 2nd router is also 'tri-radio' (sigh, it's not 'tri-band' to me), then yes, it should work with the top band for backhaul. Wired is still superior though.

I would recommend you flash to the latest 386.xxx firmware code base available for your router and do the same for the second router you buy too.

Flashing to the 386.xxx base will give you AiMesh v2.0 which is multiple times superior to AiMesh v1.0.
Thanks! Yeah just updated my GT-AC5300 earlier to 386 firmware

Only issue I have with the 2.4Ghz being enabled on the main router is computer speaker interference when enabled is annoying. The router can be moved but not so easily. Also 95% of the clients that need 2.4GHz will only need to be connected to the downstairs node anyway.

Computer speaker interference? Get new speakers or move the router.

Network stability above all else! :)

Computer speaker interference? Get new speakers or move the router.

Network stability above all else! :)
Well interfearce as in constant noises coming out of the speakers when 2.4 is enabled lol. Doesnt actually affect the network, Easily getting over 200mbps on the 2.4GHz network which is shocking.

Yes, in this case, move the router. (Hi-Fi with 'noise' is Lo-Fi). :)

Well interfearce as in constant noises coming out of the speakers when 2.4 is enabled lol. Doesnt actually affect the network, Easily getting over 200mbps on the 2.4GHz network which is shocking.

I had a WiFi buzz problem with a $10 phone at my daughter's place so I bought her a much newer version of the same phone that I knew did not have the problem.

Someone I know has a similar WiFi buzz on their more expensive cordless phone system. When I explained the matter, they suggested the trouble was with my phone. It's not. Whenever we talk on the phone, there's a buzz on their phone that varies depending on where they move relative to their router.

I may not replace speakers, but I'd replace their non-DECT cordless phone system... a buzz on a phone call can be annoying.

OE

So 2.4 can be disabled on the main router and enabled on the node even with the new AiMesh 2.0? I did see that 2.0 included being able to enable or disable it on the actual node now.

I didn't say that. :)