What's new

Quick thoughts on Chinese RT-AC86U Vs. RT-AC5300 Review with Pictures

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

same reason like TM-AC1900, they bought a huge lot of it for half cost, even with special firmware which makes more cost for asus than using existing ones.
They just take the money they get out of each region, thats marketing and free trading ... custormers always the loosers!

So even though you've changed language to English, regional settings are still locked to Chinese correct? What channels do you have available and what is Tx Power. The US has strongest Tx Power correct?

I changed the region to the United States and my signal went from 4 bars to Full. I changed it from China to the United States, in the Wifi Professional Settings tab. If you can change the region in the Chinese version then how is this a bad except the fact that you have to start off with Chinese only?

I changed the region to the United States and my signal went from 4 bars to Full. I changed it from China to the United States, in the Wifi Professional Settings tab. If you can change the region in the Chinese version then how is this a bad except the fact that you have to start off with Chinese only?
I can tell you whats bad with it.
If you like to use it as Aimesh-node it defaults back to chinese region with ch. 149-161 waiting for pairing while region not changeable and so cannot be connected with an EU-parent router (where these channels are forbidden and not available)!

I can tell you whats bad with it.
If you like to use it as Aimesh-node it defaults back to chinese region with ch. 149-161 waiting for pairing while region not changeable and so cannot be connected with an EU-parent router (where these channels are forbidden and not available)!

Totally Agreed. Why wouldn't you buy two of the Chinese to use as AIMesh if required? It's about half the price anyways.

I have a chinese 86U, as long as no need for Aimesh no problem at all.
And a 68U, which I can change region, so no problem to mesh for me.
But why should I buy 2 as long as I have a good 68U?

And with Aimesh they will use ch. 149-165 and EU-clients wont connect at this channels!

I found my solution for me, but many or most others cant, thats the problem ...
If you buy it and it won't connect you dont know why without searching many hours or days for a working solution.
Asus wont support it as it is chinese and somewhere you will find their statement where they say it must be from same region, but then you already bought it!

I have a chinese 86U, as long as no need for Aimesh no problem at all.
And a 68U, which I can change region, so no problem to mesh for me.
But why should I buy 2 as long as I have a good 68U?

And with Aimesh they will use ch. 149-165 and EU-clients wont connect at this channels!

I found my solution for me, but many or most others cant, thats the problem ...
If you buy it and it won't connect you dont know why without searching many hours or days for a working solution.
Asus wont support it as it is chinese and somewhere you will find their statement where they say it must be from same region, but then you already bought it!

Absolutely Right. I have changed my Region to Asia. I believe Asia was giving me a slightly higher Wifi Signal on my laptop when compared to the US. All clients at my home are from NA as I moved from there. The phones are from here and all connect just fine to the 5G network. I would wonder why would they lock down AI Mesh. I have a Belkin light switch that was configured earlier and that auto connected to the 2G network.

dont see noticeable differences to my 68U set to same region.

As they all have same power limits their range is pretty the same, regardless what marketing advertises.

Any comparisons of wireless range yet?

Some Observations. My Laptop wifi card is messed up so in most places the wifi is low, therefore with the AC5300, I had the TX modified values and I used to get Full Bars to one bar less on my laptop. With the the 86u and setting it to Asia, I get full bars. All devices are stable. In my tests, Asia is slightly better than the US.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!