What's new

AiMesh in AP only mode Wireless SSD drops Internet AC5300 AC68U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

K-teach

Occasional Visitor
I have been using my GT-AC5300 as a hone router for two years. Great product. Then I wanted some tech fun, so I spun up a pfsense router and turned the AC5300 into AP only. Worked great for one month. Then I picked up an AC68U amd added it to the aimesh as an AP node upstairs to improve coverage . Linked through Ethernet. Worked great for a week.

Now I have the problem that devices connected to either 5Ghz or 2Ghz wifi will lose the ability to reach the Internet. Wired clients continue to work, even through the AC5300. If I reboot the AC5300, either through software or hardware, all will work again. Also, if I go to one of the wifi setting screens and cleck "apply", but no actual changes, devices will regain Internet connection.

Both devices are on the latest firmware. Any tips to try? Is it possible to run these in an aimesh but only in AP mode? It seems to work, and benchmarking the connection shows excellent throughput with either node, when working.

Thanks for any thoughts.

Personally, I don't see much advantage to running two APs in AiMesh mode rather than as standalone APs. Sure you get the ability to manage both APs from one interface but at the expense of an added layer of software/networking complexity. I'd prefer to keep things simple and stick to having them as separate APs and manage them individually.

I have been using my GT-AC5300 as a hone router for two years. Great product. Then I wanted some tech fun, so I spun up a pfsense router and turned the AC5300 into AP only. Worked great for one month. Then I picked up an AC68U amd added it to the aimesh as an AP node upstairs to improve coverage . Linked through Ethernet. Worked great for a week.

Now I have the problem that devices connected to either 5Ghz or 2Ghz wifi will lose the ability to reach the Internet. Wired clients continue to work, even through the AC5300. If I reboot the AC5300, either through software or hardware, all will work again. Also, if I go to one of the wifi setting screens and cleck "apply", but no actual changes, devices will regain Internet connection.

Both devices are on the latest firmware. Any tips to try? Is it possible to run these in an aimesh but only in AP mode? It seems to work, and benchmarking the connection shows excellent throughput with either node, when working.

Thanks for any thoughts.
Change the channel. Those APs should have different channels.

Change the channel. Those APs should have different channels.

You can't, Aimesh forces you to run the same channel on all nodes. A good reason to just run them standalone.

I'm talking about not Aimesh but AP mode. His main router is Pfsense router. That's why he can't use Aimesh instead of AP mode.

OP is running Aimesh in AP mode with 2 nodes.

How can you use Aimesh with other router brands?

AiMesh in AP Mode:

1691952264051.png

It's not just AP mode. Read the FAQ. It's two Aimesh nodes connected together and administered through the AiMesh controls.
So, it means https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1044308/ is incorrect? ASUS made a new Aimesh system which can make Aimesh with other brands? Amazing. Can you tell me what kind of Tech they use for a new high tech cutting edge Aimesh system?

[AiMesh] Can I build an AiMesh system with another brand of router with an ASUS router?
Last Update : 2022/05/24 19:32

No, other brands of routers and ASUS routers can't build AiMesh systems together.

The router with the highest specifications should be used as the AiMesh router.
The best experience is the mesh system of 5 routers. (1 AiMesh router + 4 AiMesh nodes).

Disclaimer:

1. Actual data throughput and WiFi coverage will vary from network conditions and environmental factors, including the volume of network traffic, building material and construction, and network overhead, result in lower actual data throughput and wireless coverage.
  2. Seamless roaming may depend on the specification of mobile devices.
  3. DSL and LTE WiFi modem routers that support AiMesh technology are only capable of working as AiMesh primary router, not AiMesh node.
  4. For your router's full model name, please check the sticker at the back of your router.

Last edited:
No, other brands of routers and ASUS routers can't build AiMesh systems together.

I told you already the main router may not be part of AiMesh. @K-teach has pfSense appliance with AiMesh in AP Mode. This is a valid configuration with some technical limitations like no Guest Network separation from main network. Otherwise it works as described above in Asus FAQ. I had an AiMesh test setup to pfSense appliance with 3x Asus routers at one point. AiMesh has nothing to do with WAN-LAN routing.

No, it means you don't understand the difference between this FAQ and the other FAQ. As was previously explained to you the OP's pfsense router is not part of the AiMesh.
I know those FAQs.
He said.
'I have been using my GT-AC5300 as a home router for two years.
Great product. Then I wanted some tech fun, so I spun up a pfsense router and turned the AC5300 into AP only.
Then I picked up an AC68U and added it to the aimesh as an AP node
upstairs to improve coverage . Linked through Ethernet.'
- It means his pfsense router is a main router now.

What am I missing?

Am I wrong?

Your wrong understanding is pfSense as part of AiMesh. It's not part of it - AiMesh is in AP Mode only, Wi-Fi only. Read my post above.

Your wrong understanding is pfSense as part of AiMesh. It's not part of it - AiMesh is in AP Mode only, Wi-Fi only. Read my post above.
That is not real Aimesh. I think that just a playing with words. Mesh or WiFi extender or repeater is more closer than Aimesh for his system.

That is not real Aimesh. I think that just a playing with words.

What is real AiMesh?

My configuration was pfSense router + Asus in AP Mode + 2x wireless AiMesh nodes.

Last edited:
Main router: Asus Aimesh router.

Not a requirement. The main router may be something else, AiMesh may be in AP mode as shown above. Why you associate routing with AiMesh? It's just wired APs and wireless Repeaters with fancy marketing name. Not much real mesh in AiMesh anyway. Google Wifi and Amazon eero are better "mesh".

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!