What's new

R7000 and PCE-AC68 INSTALLED!

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

tlminh

Occasional Visitor
Prior to this modem, I had a medialink http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0044YU60M/?tag=snbforums-20

I also had and asus usb-n53 thank linked the router to my HTPC

Hulu worked ok, some mild lagging but nothing too painful
NHL CenterIce was horrible
No wifi reception outside the house (ie smartphone in backyard)

Waited for r7000 reviews, SNB finally reviewed it vs the ASUS ac68 and the R7000 came out on top. I went to a locak B&M store and got it.

Hooked up and linked up in about 5-10 min, setup was a snap! Devices connected without a problem

Using USB-N53 at full potential (maxed at 300 mbps)

Hulu now works flawlessly, NHL Gamecenter is much better.

Can get reception well outside the house

I have a PCE-ac68 coming in the mail today, will update!

******* Got the PCE-AC68 installed
I purchased the R7000 Netgear AC router

I used it with a USB Asus N53 wireless adapter. At 5Ghz, I got 300Mbps per the asus utility (pretty much maxed out the wireless adapter)

I installed the PCE-ac68 just now. Install was easy, just slides into the PCI slot, restarted. Deleted the old N53 driver and installed the new driver from the disc (same version as the one online).

Per the ASUS utility, I am getting 433 Mbps .

A lot lower than the 1300Mbps I thought I'd get.

I played around with the antenna settings and I have full 5 bars (Router is next room over)

Unless someone can advise me otherwise, this does not seem to get the 1300Mbps that I thought 802.11ac would get me. Any advice?

i'm just sitting here doing nothing and now its hovering at 175mbps

this is without touching any settings

any advice?

Well, now it wont connect. It keeps saying my password is incorrect. But all my other devices connect just fine

I had to reinstall the driver, then it still say my password was incorrect x 1. After I clicked retry, it worked. Still at 175Mbps though

it flat out refuses to acknowledge my 2.4Ghz password and i cannot connect

Last edited:
push the factory reset button and start over
I had lost my modem connection for whatever reason thou my wireless radios worked fine. Put the 66u back and modem worked fine.
Reset the AC68 and started all over / everything's been fine so far all day.

it flat out refuses to acknowledge my 2.4Ghz password and i cannot connect

So are you connecting your PCE-AC68 to your 2.4 GHz wireless network? If so you will never get a 1300 Mbps link rate, that's only available over 5 GHz.

Just a quick thought...have you tried going to the device manager on the computer that the PCE-AC68 is connected to and unchecked the item that allows it to turn off the network adapter to save power (Power Management tab)? That's how you do that in Windows 7, anyways.

For Windows 8, I see some options for the wireless adapters under "Power Options", but I'm not seeing this in the driver properties.

Anyways, if you've already done this, never mind *smile*. And it may not help anyway, it may just be the wireless adapter driver managing things its own way.

So are you connecting your PCE-AC68 to your 2.4 GHz wireless network? If so you will never get a 1300 Mbps link rate, that's only available over 5 GHz.

Negative, the PCE-AC68 is linked up to the 5Ghz bandwidth (when it does). Furthermore, it hovers around 117-175 Mbps

In fact, it refuses to recognize the 2.4Ghz SSID password

If I uninstall the PCE-AC68, and use the ASUS USB-N53(wireless N), I'd get a constant 300 Mbps over the 5Ghz bandwidth

Just a quick thought...have you tried going to the device manager on the computer that the PCE-AC68 is connected to and unchecked the item that allows it to turn off the network adapter to save power (Power Management tab)? That's how you do that in Windows 7, anyways.

For Windows 8, I see some options for the wireless adapters under "Power Options", but I'm not seeing this in the driver properties.

Anyways, if you've already done this, never mind *smile*. And it may not help anyway, it may just be the wireless adapter driver managing things its own way.

Thanks for the tip, I tried that and it's doesn't turn off. I contacted ASUS and put in a ticket, only time will tell now, I may just RMA this thing if a new driver isn't released that would address my problems

Negative, the PCE-AC68 is linked up to the 5Ghz bandwidth (when it does). Furthermore, it hovers around 117-175 Mbps

You can have link rates of up to 450 Mbps on 2.4 GHz, but if you say it doesn't recognize the 2.4 GHz passphrase, that's that.

Try a different SSID on the 2.4 GHz band, just in case your devices might have stored low-level information related to the previous router. Using a new SSID will ensure that it's a new profile.

I tried all the recommendations and still no fixes

Looking at other online reviews, I am not the only one with this issue

I recently purchased the PCE-AC68 and the AC68 router so I figured I would sign up here and hopefully help.

When I first installed the card it would not connect to my old 2.4 network using AES, only with TKIP (only device that had that issue). Once I received the new router it connected to 5.0 without issue but said it would not go above 433, I had horrible ping times to gateway, and very poor speed with an excellent signal.

Not sure if it was my motherboard (ASrock extreme 4) or the card, I downloaded the card driver from ASUS website and the most recent BIOS for mb, uninstalled the wireless drivers, flashed bios, reboot, and installed driver from website instead of cd (even though same, I'm paranoid). Since that it has worked flawlessly, no drops, great speed, ping always 1 ms, connection doesn't go above 800 Mbps not sure why but it doesnt drop below 700 Mbps either.

Hope any of this helps.

Hi,
Can you move the card to another slot and try again?

Maybe someone will find this of use. I use the ASUS PCE-AC68 as of today with my ASUS RT-AC66U router.
I was stuck at 433 Mbps and after Googling found this thread. I tried a few times to see whether the bandwidth increased when transferring large files from the router HDD to my desktop but no changes.
Then I removed the "b/g compatible" option from the 2.4GHz wireless and after applying the change (it booted) bang(!) I got over 1000 Mbps. I do not know whether the booting did it or if it was the "b/g compatible" setting that was the problem.
I use same SSID for both 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz. My computer is about 5 meters from the router, different room but no door in between. Concrete walls.
Pretty sweet transfer times I must say, although it should be even higher considering the short space in between imo.

Edit:
managed to post in the wrong thread. It was meant for a thread with RT-AC68U and the PCE-AC68.
Might as well add some info.
Standard ASUS firmware on router, Windows 7 Pro 64-bit.

Last edited:
Thanks for the tips, I tried both settings as recommended but still have the same problem
Make sure the router is set to 80MHz bandwidth for 5 GHz. Also set the 5GHz band to N and AC only, if the R7000 allows that (I do not have experience with that router). Also use a fixed channel, the higher ones are better. Set your preamble length to short if you have a lot of network traffic. If using Hulu I would set it to short. Good luck.

Maybe someone will find this of use. I use the ASUS PCE-AC68 as of today with my ASUS RT-AC66U router.
I was stuck at 433 Mbps and after Googling found this thread. I tried a few times to see whether the bandwidth increased when transferring large files from the router HDD to my desktop but no changes.
Then I removed the "b/g compatible" option from the 2.4GHz wireless and after applying the change (it booted) bang(!) I got over 1000 Mbps. I do not know whether the booting did it or if it was the "b/g compatible" setting that was the problem.
I use same SSID for both 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz. My computer is about 5 meters from the router, different room but no door in between. Concrete walls.
Pretty sweet transfer times I must say, although it should be even higher considering the short space in between imo.

Edit:
managed to post in the wrong thread. It was meant for a thread with RT-AC68U and the PCE-AC68.
Might as well add some info.
Standard ASUS firmware on router, Windows 7 Pro 64-bit.
Do NOT use the same SSID for both the 2.4 and 5 GHz bands. I always append my SSID with 5GHz for that band so I can easily tell which is which (and so can my WiFi adapters).

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!