1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice

Welcome To SNBForums

SNBForums is a community for anyone who wants to learn about or discuss the latest in wireless routers, network storage and the ins and outs of building and maintaining a small network.

If you'd like to post a question, simply register and have at it!

While you're at it, please check out SmallNetBuilder for product reviews and our famous Router Charts, Ranker and plenty more!

R7000 From Kong to Merlin or Voxel, Tomato, Open-WRT Eko or BrainSlayer!

Discussion in 'NETGEAR AC Wireless' started by Layllah, Dec 2, 2019.

1. Layllah

Layllah New Around Here

Apparently I asked a FORBIDDEN question whoops been studying since 5:00 am EST sorry about that. Oh well back to the drawing board. I had high hopes for that, What a let down.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2019
  2. ColinTaylor

ColinTaylor Part of the Furniture

3. Layllah

Layllah New Around Here

Removed the question deleted the package I downloaded and sorry I asked

4. coxhaus

coxhaus Part of the Furniture

Why all those OSs? Because you can? Pick one and go with it. Don't spend your life changing OSs.

5. Layllah

Layllah New Around Here

Thanks I picked one went with it and the author is retiring. I have a unique situation in that I'm an inventor protecting my invention security is everything, I asked what people are using and why to get an idea of where to go from here Obviously I picked the wrong forum and upset a long time user for that I'm sorry. When I read about the nameless OS for my router it incorporated my needs into a straight forward GUI. Changing has nothing to do with because I can. It's about a protecting a lifetime of work while providing my household stable technology. I thought this forum was for users of many different routers to share experiences Thanks for making this harder, I wasn't looking for how to's just which one?

6. ColinTaylor

ColinTaylor Part of the Furniture

If your comment about "upsetting a user" was referring to my post #2 then rest assured you didn't upset me. I was merely giving you information that you didn't have.

You stated in your title that there are other alternatives to Merlin's firmware, "Voxel, Tomato, Open-WRT Eko or BrainSlayer". I didn't comment on those because I have no experience of them. AdvancedTomato might be another option.

7. coxhaus

coxhaus Part of the Furniture

I say if this is true then keep your invention off the internet and local LAN. There is no true security. Run a separate network with internet and no ties to your invention.