What's new

R7000 XWRT-VORTEX Bandwidth Control for Guest Network?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Marcodt

Occasional Visitor
Is this possible? I really want to limit my guests to 5Mbits upon connecting to my network.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

it is possible but you'll have to do it through the CLI and I can't give you the commands as I don't know them myself. Otherwise, install Tomato where you can easily do that through the GUI. Tomato also supports CTF if you need it

it is possible but you'll have to do it through the CLI and I can't give you the commands as I don't know them myself. Otherwise, install Tomato where you can easily do that through the GUI. Tomato also supports CTF if you need it

Do you think anyone knows the commands? I've been searching online but haven't been lucky. I'm not too familiar with tomato but I can give that a go if I'm unable to do this.

Thank you! The first link I actually tried but did not work as that is exclusive to MerlinWRT and not Vortex:(
The command was accepted however, the speeds were exactly the same. I will try the second link when I get home:)

Has anyone got any commands for this?
I'm surprised nobody has tried to limit the bandwidth on a guest network via SSH using XWRT-vortex with an R7000..:(

For the first link, the command was accepted however, it didn't do anything (I think because that's for MerlinWRT and I am on XWRT-Vortex).
For the second link, upon posting the command I receive this:
97iet0.png

I don't understand what you mean by the sentence: 'Try to get help of that made that fork.'.
So I can see that they have the actual MerlinWRT firmware for the R7000 and from my understanding, this is NOT vortex, correct? That would mean if I were to run that firmware, then the command from https://nwgat.ninja/limit-bandwith-for-ssid-on-asuswrt-merlin/ would work?
Thanks.

Thank you.
I've actually decided to give tomato firmware a go as I can not receive the help I am looking for with vortex.
Is there a certain procedure to get to tomato from vortex? I assume I need to go back to the stock firmware first?

- go back to stock
- flash the initial Tomato firmware
- if all successful, flash the real all-in-one (AIO) firmware. During that flash, make sure to enable "erase NVRAM" option

- go back to stock
- flash the initial Tomato firmware
- if all successful, flash the real all-in-one (AIO) firmware. During that flash, make sure to enable "erase NVRAM" option

Do you have the links? I really don't want to download the wrong firmware and brick my device lol. I also have an N66U flashed with MerlinWRT which would be the same procedure?

Do you have the links? I really don't want to download the wrong firmware and brick my device lol. I also have an N66U flashed with MerlinWRT which would be the same procedure?

Get it from my mirror https://ngmirror.teambelgium.net/

Get the initial and 138-MultiWAN AIO files. If you need to go from Tomato to stock again, also get the "back to original" file

I think with ASUS routers, you need to put it in recovery mode, then flash it with Tomato. I've never done that so I can't help on the N66U

Last edited:
If you are wondering how to set up a Guest network with bandwidth limiting, below are the steps as Tomato by default doesn't offer Guest setting.

1) Go to Basic -> Network and under LAN, add a second bridge (br1) with IP 10.0.0.1 (for example)
2) Go to Advanced -> VLAN and add an entry which has *only* LAN1 (br1) enabled in the Bridge option. Do not tick any other ports, leave them empty
3) Go to Advanced -> Virtual Wireless and set up your wl0.1 and wl1.1 guest interfaces
4) Go back to Advanced -> VLAN and below the VLAN setting, there's Wireless setting. Set both "Bridge wl0.1" and "Bridge wl1.1" to LAN1 (br1)
5) Go to Bandwidth Limiter and enable it. Set at the top for Max available download/upload to 999999 and enable below limiting on Default Class for LAN1 (br1) interface. This is where you set the Guest bandwidth limit

The above will give you an isolated, separate Guest network with bandwidth limiting

Last edited:

Get the initial and 138-MultiWAN AIO files. If you need to go from Tomato to stock again, also get the "back to original" file

I think with ASUS routers, you need to put it in recovery mode, then flash it with Tomato. I've never done that so I can't help on the N66U

Thank you so much. I think tomato will be a better alternative for me.
I'm using the N66U as an AP. If I get tomato loaded on the N66U, is it easy to setup as an AP with the same SSID and passwords? I want my devices to automatically connect to the strongest signal.

From my understanding, I need to use the XWRT-VORTEX back_to_original file ftp://ngmirror.teambelgium.net/routers/NETGEAR/R7000/XWRT_Vortex/back_to_original/ to get back on Netgears firmware? After that I would just update the router to the 138 tomato file?
What about the NVRAM? Should I do a 30-30-30 reset or whatever?
I'm still trying to grasp all of this as I haven't had much experience with this stuff.
Thanks!

Yes, use the Vortex back to original file. It will bring you back to stock NG firmware and from there, flash the Tomato initial file. After that, flash the Tomato AIO firmware. To login into first time Tomato, use admin as user and password

The NVRAM you can reset when you flash the AIO. In the initial firmware, there's an option to clear NVRAM, just check it. 30-30-30 procedure has no effect on ARM-based routers

So...

1) use Vortex back to original
2) flash the Tomato initial file
3) Flash the real Tomato AIO firmware and during the flashing check erase NVRAM option

Thank you so much. I think tomato will be a better alternative for me.
I'm using the N66U as an AP. If I get tomato loaded on the N66U, is it easy to setup as an AP with the same SSID and passwords? I want my devices to automatically connect to the strongest signal.

I've never ran Tomato in AP mode so I honestly don't know. But you can ask on the LinkSysInfo forum http://www.linksysinfo.org/index.php?forums/tomato-firmware.33/

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!