What's new

R7800 Change Wireless Region?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

mokuro07

New Around Here
Just recently bought an R7800 from amazon.com only to be disappointed with Wi-Fi range. I was told by changing the Wireless Region, the range/signal would improve drastically . Unfortunately , the option to change the region is greyed out and locked on North America. Currently the signal is comparable to my 5-year old N-router which is also a Netgear.

I moved to Saudi Arabia a few days ago and I'm hoping for a solution to this issue.

Just recently bought an R7800 from amazon.com only to be disappointed with Wi-Fi range. I was told by changing the Wireless Region, the range/signal would improve drastically . Unfortunately , the option to change the region is greyed out and locked on North America. Currently the signal is comparable to my 5-year old N-router which is also a Netgear.

I moved to Saudi Arabia a few days ago and I'm hoping for a solution to this issue.
For a start have you updated the firmware? Then do a hard reset. Each country has different rules on wireless output and also location what the rooms are built of and how much interference you have all make a lot of difference in broadcast levels. I personally find the router has great range, but all routers have to broadcast to a limit, more aerials do not mean massive range necessarily, but improvements like throughput etc really do count and this router does fly.

The latest firmware for most countries is now V1.0.1.28. As to why the country is greyed out I don't know, hence trying an update and reset then enter your settings. It could be though that there are imitations to your router in the country you are in possibly, but I'm not sure on that. Try googling to see what you come up with on the netgear site should help and try different channels, use something like InSSIDer to see what ones are best in your area. Bear in mind it could be just that the router is simply faulty.

For a start have you updated the firmware? Then do a hard reset. Each country has different rules on wireless output and also location what the rooms are built of and how much interference you have all make a lot of difference in broadcast levels. I personally find the router has great range, but all routers have to broadcast to a limit, more aerials do not mean massive range necessarily, but improvements like throughput etc really do count and this router does fly.

The latest firmware for most countries is now V1.0.1.28. As to why the country is greyed out I don't know, hence trying an update and reset then enter your settings. It could be though that there are imitations to your router in the country you are in possibly, but I'm not sure on that. Try googling to see what you come up with on the netgear site should help and try different channels, use something like InSSIDer to see what ones are best in your area. Bear in mind it could be just that the router is simply faulty.

I have already updated to the latest firmare and did reset after that, but still the option is greyed-out on North America.

As for the type of walls in my apartment, they're bricks or concrete.

Is there any way to download a different region firmware for this router? All I found was the NA one. Can you direct me to the download page where I can find all the regions?

EDIT: Just noticed that on the packaging, there's a lable that reads the router's model "R7800-100NAS" and NA stands for North America . Checked the same router at amazon.uk and the model number ends with "UKS". So this might explain why I'm stuck with a NA firmware. Would be great if I could get my hands on a UK firmware.

Thanks

Last edited:
I have already updated to the latest firmare and did reset after that, but still the option is greyed-out on North America.

As for the type of walls in my apartment, they're bricks or concrete.

Is there any way to download a different region firmware for this router? All I found was the NA one. Can you direct me to the download page where I can find all the regions?

EDIT: Just noticed that on the packaging, there's a lable that reads the router's model "R7800-100NAS" and NA stands for North America . Checked the same router at amazon.uk and the model number ends with "UKS". So this might explain why I'm stuck with a NA firmware. Would be great if I could get my hands on a UK firmware.

Thanks
With just a small amount of searching this forum you will learn a simple firmware change will not change regions.

Buy a new Router/AP in your market - many OEM's are starting to lock down regions due to FCC/EU Regulatory rulings...

Buy a new Router/AP in your market - many OEM's are starting to lock down regions due to FCC/EU Regulatory rulings...

Will do. But probably in a year or two. We don't have Netgear routers in our market though. Only Linksys and low ends TP-Link.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!